≼ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄 ≽

WARNING: This chapter contains physical abuse, continue at your own risk.

𝐆𝐀𝐋'𝐒 𝐏𝐎𝐕:

𝐓𝐇𝐄 bar is swarming with people as I walk in, music bounces from the walls and shot chants noisily overlap it. It isn't often that I come out to a bar like this, it's the local watering hole and given that it's the end of the week some of the other Professors thought it would be nice to loosen up a little, let their hair down and so they invited me along for a night out. A smile draws on my lips as I look around and remember my youth, drinking and partying with friends only to wake up the next morning with one hell of a hangover. Those were the days.

One of my colleagues, a Professor Graham Whitlock, buys us all the first round of drinks and we all mingle around edges of the room. Young men and women dance in the centre, others are off to the left playing darts and pool, and the rest laugh and drink around the bar. I stand off to the side a bit, chatting to Melanie Quinn, the architecture Professor, about— really nothing in particular. It's just small talk, a few questions here and a short answer there, I'm not really that interested to be honest.

It's an okay evening, nothing special and certainly not one to remember. I wouldn't say it was boring, although, that's the only word that sticks in my head when trying to explain the slow night ahead. I've only just arrived and I can already feel the urge to go home, however, it's polite social standards that keep me here. I can't just leave a few minutes after arriving, I'd never live it down.

Suddenly the music stops and the screech of a microphone travels over the bar, everyone looks towards the back of the room and there stands Maddie and Blair on the small karaoke stage. Drunk, yes they are, Maddie sways on her feet and Blair bursts out laughing every few minutes at absolutely nothing.

"We need some dancing up in here! Who's ready to finally get this Friday night really going?!" Maddie yells into the microphone, impressively without a single slur and to my surprise the crowd cheers her on. "First, let's get our favourite girl up here! Come on, let's see if you remember her name!"

The small crowd starts up again but once they start chanting it sounds more like an entire stadium. "ADDISON! ADDISON! ADDISON!" I look around trying to find her in the crowd and sure enough there she is being pushed up to the stage. A smile on her face and as she stands beside her friends I notice a playful shake of her head as she lightheartedly scolds them for putting her on the spot.

Watching intently I drop my previous conversation with Melanie and focus all my attention on Addison as their song starts up. She bobs lightly to the beat beside her friends as they start the singing, their tune off and bumbling together. But soon it's Addison's voice singing in one of the microphones and she's dancing freely, my smile drops and my heart skips an entire beat.

"Hands up, when the music drops, we both put our hands up!" All three girls raise their hands and the crowd follows. "Put your hands on my body," Addison's runs her hands up her own body as her hips sway seductively to the music. I have to swallow the sexual tension building under my skin while I'm physically unable to tear my eyes away from her. "Swear I seen you before, I think I remember those eyes, eyes, eyes, eyes. Eyes, eyes, eyes."

It feels like the song goes on forever, the way she moves slows the world around me and soon enough I have to distract myself with another drink. I make my way over to the bar and order another glass Vasse Felix Classic Dry Rosé wine. I bring the glass to my lips just as someone slides onto the stool next to me, lightly puffing and still full of energy.

"Hey Simon, can I get a pimped-up pink lemonade?" It was Addison's voice that spoke up next to me and even if she hadn't said anything it would've been the scent of her perfume that caught my attention.