Before We Start

Before I officially launch this story I need to tell you guys that this is heavily based around a mental health disorder called Dissociative Identity Disorder. I will explain more about that later. But a few things to know. There will be quirks. I don't know about ships yet but I might add one. Once you read this chapter please comment down below if you have a ship in mind and I will explore that idea. No teacher x student and sorry but not doing shindeku for a reason yet unknown to you. ;) So, first on the agenda is a shit ton of info on DID then I will list trigger warnings than finally notes you will need to know. Okay? Here we go!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ What is DID? and How it comes to be:

DID short for Dissociative Identity Disorder is when the personality is split into different people known as alters. This happens because a child at young age experiences any trauma (physical or mental) and the brain couldn't process the trauma so before the personality fully integrated the mind split into several different states of consciousness or alters. Putting up amnesic walls between alters to allow the host to live without worry of the memories of the traumatic experiences that the body went through creating a way to let the body/system live a somewhat normal life.

Notes on DID and related topics:

Definitions and Terminology:

Dissociation: the disconnection or separation of someone from the conscious state of mind.

Alters: AKA Alternate State of consciousness state of mind, they are their own person, will have different looks, genders, sexualities, memories, opinions and the like. THEY ARE THEIR OWN PERSON! Can be deaf, mute, blind etc. Will have different mental or physical issues. Created to make sure that the host can carry on in their daily life without worrying about the trauma that they have experienced in the past.

Inner World: A place where alters live/ trauma is kept. Its a subconscious mechanism that allows the body and mind to connect and process the trauma giving it a place to go. It is not a manifestation IRL it is merely existent in the mind. Alters may interact with one another and may be like cities or countries where they live as normal people or it can simply be a house. There most likely will be a place that serves as a reminder of trauma. Like a dungeon for example.

Switch: One alter is in the front than another switches in and takes front. Therefore they are in control of the body. Often dissociation will happen before/during the switch

Fronting/Out: The alter is controlling the body.

Host: Alter(s) is fronting the most. Takes care of daily life like school, work, chores etc.

Co-Conscious: 2 alters are sharing/fronting at the same time. Control can be split or may be uneven control. The alters can communicate with one another and may switch at any given time

Trauma: An experience that the brain will have difficulty processing. It may be related to physical, emotional, spiritual, phycological damage. It makes the child/person feel like they will die or are extremely hurt. Trauma can be minor or major.

Structural Dissociation: Theory that says DID is not a split its not a single personality that isnt fully formed instead its when children up to the age of 8 we only have and need basics as we get older we become more aware and become a single personality. However, that process was interrupted by trauma putting up walls between different fragments of mind called amnesic walls. Therefore unable to integrate making DID seeing as the mind stays fragmented and creates whole different people who experience things that another alter/the host may not experience. Hence the amnesic walls that keep them separated.

DSM-V: It stands for The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Health Disorders. It is a book of recognized mental health disorders that most health care companies abide by. It defines mental health orders and states treatments and recommended treatments.