14th November, 2020

Ishan

" Aarya?"

I couldn't believe it was her.

" I'm so sorry, tum so rahe the? Mujhe laga ki tum jaag rahe hoge toh isiliye maine socha ki.."

She was so hesitant! Actually hesitant isn't the correct word to describe it. Nervous? Might do.

" Jis cheez ke liye der tak jaagta tha woh toh bandh ho gayi.. Toh abb jaag ke kya fayda.." I replied.

There was a brief silence on the other end. Did I make her feel guity? What the fuck, Ishan!

You just HAVE to mess it up every time with her, don't you?

" Aarya?" I called, evidently impatient.

" Ha?" She responded from the other end.

" Tum ne bataya nahi- ke achanak se call kaise.."

" Woh main.."

Was I making her nervous? Was I being too pushy? Was I sounding too desperate?

" Woh mujhe tumhe sorry kehna tha." She finally answered.

" Sorry?" I blurted.

" Haan. Pichle teen din se soch rahi thi lekin himmat nahi ho rahi thi. Aaj finally raha nahi gaya toh call kar diya. Abb meri baat suno.."

" I wasn't fair to you that day. I wasn't fair at all. I even shut you out without giving you an explaination. You didn't deserve that. You didn't deserve any of that. And I-"

She took an abrrupt pause and drew in a breath, as if her throat was heavy.

" I couldn't stop thinking about it from that very moment. I couldn't stop thinking about how cold I was to you. I'm really sorry, Ishan."

" I'm really very sorry."

I could hear her breathing, this will sound so fuckin' insane but I could feel her sorrow. I could feel how sad and guilty she was. I don't know how, she wasn't even in front of me.

" I missed you."

As she was on the edge of her last sentence, her voice broke and so did my heart. She felt so fragile.

If only she was in front of me right now.. I would've held her in my arms, so tight.

" I missed you more, Aarya." I replied.

" You did?" She asked.

" Yeh bhi koyi sawal hai. Bohot miss kiya maine tumhe." I told her.

" Toh phir text kyu nahi kiya ek baar bhi? Itna gussa the mujhpe?" She asked.

I chuckled.

" At least sau (100) baar khayal aya hoga dimag mein, lekin jab jab himmat karta tha, yeh sochta tha ke kahin tum aur naraaz na ho jao mujhse." I explained, in whole honesty.

" Hmm.." She mumbled.

There was another moment of brief silence, only lighter this time.

"By the way, that kurta you wore today, was looking good."

And just like that, she just randomly threw a compliment at me, catching me off guard completely and cutting all the tension to nothingness.

" Mumma ki choice thi." I told her.

" Tabhi it was looking good."

" Aur batao, how's diwali at your place?" I asked.

" I made rangoli!"

" Picture!"

" Haan already nikala! Wait I'll send it to you."

And just like that... Things were back to being better again.

.
.
.

I know!! I know!!! I have been gone for 5 months and that's horrible. Let's just say, life got in between the writing! But I'm here, I'll try to be as regular as possible!

- Divyaa :)