~chapter 2: the impossible~

"Pansy, Draco" Lord Voldemort's voice carries clearly across the silent room. Everyone turns to look at me and Draco. 

"My Lord?" I ask confidently but my heart is beating frantically. DO NOT show weakness. I squeeze Draco's hand extra hard to make him look at his master, to not look at him is the same as disobeying him.

"I am sure you heard me right Miss Parkinson, you and young Mr.Malfoy will kill Dumbledore for me" the Dark Lord pauses for dramatic effect, "you both are going to be sixth-year students at Hogwarts and both of you are Slytherin prefects, which will make your job easier I hope. Also, Miss Parkinson is an excellent Legilimen, there should be no problem. You have one year to complete this task. To succeed you and your family will be honored beyond your dreams, but if you two fail...". the Dark Lord doesn't have to finish the sentence, we all know what would happen if we fail.

"My Lord!" cries out mother and Mrs. Malfoy.

"They are just children, send someone more experienced...please." mother pleads.

"Yes, my Lord" begs Mrs.Malfoy.

They made a grave mistake...the Dark Lord shouldn't be questioned.

"Crucio" they shrieked as the curse ran through both of their bodies. Draco tightens his hand around mine. I try to keep an unbothered face, to show emotion is to disobey. 

"I will let this go this time, Paulina and Narcissa for you both are still grieving over both of your useless husbands, but I should never be questioned. You both understand?" Lord Voldemort grits through his teeth.

Mother and Mrs. Malfoy finally stop screaming, but there's fear in their eyes. 

As if nothing happened the Dark Lord turns his attention back to me and Draco "Do you accept? Miss Parkinson? Mr. Malfoy?"

This is not a question, this is an order. To refuse is death.

"I will be honored, my Lord," I reply, sounding calm, but on the inside, I am shaking in fear.

A few moments of silence passed, and Draco still hadn't said anything. I dig my fingernails into Draco's palm, finally snapping him back to reality.

"I a-accept, my Lord" Draco finally stutters out.

"Wonderful, I will be checking in with your progress as the year goes on, and I wish you both a successful year at Hogwarts." the Dark Lord finishes.

"Thank you, my Lord" Draco and I reply.

"With this matter aside, let's go over new task assignments, shall we? Goyle you keep watch over the new minister of magic-----"

I am only half-listening to the Dark Lord, my mind racing and my heart pounding so loud in my ear I am surprised no one said anything. How can Draco and I possibly kill the greatest wizard of time?! This is a suicide mission, the Dark Lord must have known that, he did that just to punish father and Mr. Malfoy.

"Well, this brings us to the end of this meeting," the Dark Lord says, "I wish you all a safe evening and as usual, don't disappoint me. The loyal will be rewarded, the incompetent will be punished." With those words, the Dark Lord disappears once again.

With the sound of chairs scrapes the floor, all the Death Eaters disapparates, except the Malfoys, my mother, and I.