Chapter seven

"Grandma Jones passed away." Her mom repeated as Winnie just felt numb. Charlie grabbed her phone out of her hand so he could do the talking to her mom.

"Are you guys okay? Do you need anything?" Charlie asked, taking Winnie into his lap as she sat there with tears about to spill out of her eyes.

"We are okay Charlie, how is Winnie? Is she okay?" Winnie's mom asked as Charlie held a shaking Winnie.

"She is definitely not okay. She's shutting down like she normally does which worries me. But, I promise you Diana that I will take care of her and get our happy go lucky Winnie back. When is the funeral? We will pack up and head on the road tonight." Charlie said feeling Winnie latch on to his shirt and let out a sob

Grandma Jones was Winnie's everything. Her best friend, her confidant, her person. Someone her and even Charlie could go to about anything and everything.

"Thank you Charlie, you have no idea how much it means to me that she has someone like you with her right now. The funeral will be later this week. I will see you two soon. Take care of our girl Char." Diana says as she has hung up the phone. Charlie put her phone down and held her so tight with both of his arms.

She was destroyed, helpless, numb. She clung so tight to Charlie feeling like if she didn't maybe he was going to disappear. He stroked her hair and repeatedly kissed her head. The last time she was like this was when her senior year boyfriend dumped her. He picked her up and walked over to the car putting her in and buckling her up. When he got in the car he called in some reinforcement to help him out for the next hour or so.

Once they had got back to their apartment Owen, Jermey, Madi and Savannah were there waiting for them. Madi and Savannah instantly went and grabbed Winnie from Charlie's hold and both held her so tight. Charlie quickly unlocked the door as they all piled into their apartment. Owen grabbed Winnie and put her on the couch and stayed next to her while everyone else helped Charle pack a bag for the both of them.

"Where's Charlie?" Winnie muttered out between sobs. The last thing she needed right now was for Charlie to be gone too.

"He is just in his room getting things ready for you guys to go." Owen said holding her against him. He felt this sense of a brotherly love and protectiveness around her. He wanted her to be safe, happy and cared for. With Charlie, he knew she was. Things were just tough for her at the moment and he couldn't imagine what she could possibly be going through right now.

"Stay with me?" She asked in a sad voice through her crying. Owen felt his heart sink. He would do anything for this girl.

"Always Win, you don't gotta ask." He said stroking her hair. Trying his best to comfort her the way she needed to to be comforted.

"Okay, we got her bag all packed. Toiletries and everything!" Madi said handing it to Jermey who then would run it downstairs and in Charlie's car. Charlie was stress packing. He didn't know how to feel, other than being strong for Winnie right now. Grandma Jones was special to him too, now not as special as she was to Winnie but pretty special.

"Alright, I think I got everything too. How is she?" Charlie asked Owen who was holding a now sleeping Winnie.

"She stopped crying a second ago and now she's asleep. She's a wreck Charlie. Are you sure she's gonna make it through the week?" Owen asked as Charlie picked her up from his grasp. Charlie didn't know if he could answer that question. He knew Winnie was going to be putting on a show for everyone she saw, but behind closed doors. She would break.

Everything and everyone was loaded into the car. Charlie said goodbye and thanked his best friends. He then got into the car himself and set off back to their hometown. Halfway on their way there , Winnie started stirring in her sleep and started to wake up.

"Charlie?" She asked out. Instinctively Charlie grabbed her hand making sure she knew he was there.

"I'm here baby. Do you need anything?" He asked kissing her hand and leaving it in his lap.

"No, I just wanted to hear your voice." She said with a very faint soft smile. Charlie glanced over at her and gave her a smile. He knew how much she was hurting and he wished he could just take it away.

"We are almost there. About 5 more minutes." He said taking a turn into their childhood neighborhood.

*Time Skip*

Today was the day of the funeral and Winnie was in her room trying her best to get ready. But she wasn't strong enough.

"Winnie, Charlie and his family are here." Charlie had gone over for the day to spend some time with her parents. He reluctantly left Winnie, but he knew it had been a minute since he had seen them. Charlie found Winnie in the bathroom that was right across from her room.

"Hey lover, are you holding up okay?" He asked, hugging her tightly from behind and kissing her cheek. But when she heard Charlie's voice she knew she could break down.

"I can't, I don't know if I can do this Char. I can't even get myself ready without crying. How am I supposed to hold myself together like everything is okay for a day?" She asked turning around and facing Charlie with tears running down her face. He lifted his hands up to cup her face while his thumbs wiped her tears away. Looking in her eyes, he kissed her. Resting their heads together he said

"You, Winnie Jane Jones, can do anything. You are the strongest and toughest woman I have ever met. Today, I know is going to be awful for you but I will be right there by your side through everything. Together we can get through this. Because you, Winnie, are strong." He said kissing her once more as she nodded hugging Charlie as tight as she could.

"Let me help you get ready." He said grabbing her brush and running it through her hair. He knew she wouldn't want it in her face today so he grabbed a rubber band and tied her hair back into a low bun. Charlie had been doing this for her for years. So doing this for her right now didn't even bother him. He then grabbed a makeup wipe and began removing all the makeup she had tried to put on.

"I don't think people are going to care if you have makeup on or not babe. You'll look beautiful today no matter what." He said kissing her forehead once he was all done.

"Win, Charlie. It's time to head out." Sarah, Charlie's mom called out to them. Grabbing her hand Charlie gave her a nod signalling that she could do this. He guided her down the hall and into the minivan of her mom's

When they arrived at the viewing Winnie had a tight grip on Charlie's hand walking up to her Grandmother's casket. Once they got up neither of them could stop the tears from rolling down their faces. Winnie leaned her head on Charlie's shoulder as Charlie moved his arm around her waist. Whatever was going to happen today. She knew with Charlie by her side she could do anything.