Chapter 18

A few minutes ago, Alucard was following close on Miya while both of them carefully leap from a root branch to another. After finding each other, they only need to find Nana and Harith now. But then again, they have no exact clue to where they could've been.

Alucard swore he had never been to this part of the Barren Lands. Surely he had gone to this place at least once, but why can't he remembered? It's just impossible to not going to such place at least once, regarding he's a Demon Hunter. Alucard brushed off the thought, still focusing on Miya. She's currently pressing on the wound on her right arm, and he could tell that she's in a great pain.

Has Miya always been like this?

He understand the need for someone like her to become independent, but refusing a help while you're in the need of it is not independence. It's selfishness. Unlike humans, elves have their own magic running inside their blood. Another magic, especially a dark one, could cause a worse effect on Miya that it had caused on Alucard.

Not willing to see her in more pain, he finally stopped her short while still hidden from the Vestics' visions. "Miya, stop. You have to, I'm serious." Miya held her wound tighter and glared at Alucard in front of her. "Don't go in my way. Step off-" as Miya tried to escape, Alucard blocked her with an even more determination. "Listen to me, please! I'll help you find a way out and give the rest to me. You can't go much further."

Miya pushed Alucard's away with all her strength. "I'm not risking anything. And you probably don't know the strength of an elf that you looked down on me just because I have a slight wound on my arm," before Miya can go, Alucard held her hand. She turned around, as surprised as she is. "I'm never looking down on someone that could go through all of this hell just to save a worthless demon hunter," Alucard looked very serious, he meant every word.

"To put it simply, this is an act of caring. And also for the sake of our team. You sure don't want to be a burden to our team, right?" He asked her. Miya blushed off a second hearing the word 'caring', but the word 'burden' made it all disappeared. "Then how about you? If you can't make out of this place alive, then it will all be a waste," Miya reasons, and Alucard rolled his eyes.

"Who cares if I didn't survive? As long as you, Harith and Nana are out alive, things will get better. Plus, you just have to go back to the Moonlit Forest (Enchanted Forest) to find the King of Moon Elves and there you go, a nation saved," he calmly replied, and Miya stared at him with disbelief. So she just gone through all that HELL just to save a man that doesn't even care if he dies? Now that's, a WASTE.

But Miya realized it wasn't just the disbelief she's feeling right now. There's this another guilty feeling inside of her heart, that she couldn't explained just yet. Alucard was right, she couldn't have care less whether he dies or not. But back then, she still cried upon him, didn't she? Now she felt embarrassed about it.

Growing up as an elf, Miya had experience many types of emotions. But as mystery as their kind are, elves have way less complicated feelings. If they like someone, then they will show that they liked them. If they hate someone, then they will always hate them. But those feelings she had over the years changed only after a few days meeting this human. Is it because now she's evolving around humans' nature?

"I don't care. Nana is my responsibility, not yours. And it's not like I care for you or anything, but just don't die. I didn't came to save you just to have you dying," Miya glared at him one last time before went pass him and continued her journey. Alucard facepalmed and suppressed his scream, but in the end he just followed.

He had no choice but to protect her now.

~ ~ ~

"I saw it! That's the Queen!" Miya pointed at the Vestic sitting on its throne decorated of decayed leaves and various-shaped skulls, three times bigger that the actual Vestics. While treating other Vestics like her slave, the Queen proceed on resting without knowing that two strangers had managed to find her at the end of the Vestics' nest.