Prologue

She stood out in her balcony, leaning on the rails. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath of the night air. Many smells were swirling around. Including the smells of different people.

It was an odd thing to say but she was used to being odd by now. Different. She had first noticed her enhanced sense of smell and hearing at the age of three. Shortly after that she noticed she could get a general sense of how animals felt. When she told her father, he had taken her to his study immediately. He told her that her unique 'gift' ran in the family but it skipped many generations each time. It had been one hundred years since the last family member had this 'gift'. He emphasized that she not disclose this because people would lock her in an asylum. He then told her that there was a small chest that would be given to her on her eighteenth birthday. It was passed down for centuries to each member that had this gift. He did not know exactly what was in the chest but he knew it would explain everything to her.

She would be eighteen in six months time. But she would also be far away when she turned eighteen. She had being arguing her case to move to America for years now and her father had finally acquiesced. She explained how she felt she was meant for more than a life in the ton and acquiring a rich husband. Naturally her mother was very upset because she was their only daughter.

She had three brothers. Two older and one younger. Her mother claimed that it was a shame and almost selfish to refuse to marry. She knew that her mother meant that her beauty could have gotten her a very rich husband and lavish life. Which in turn meant she would presumably share that with her mother. She was always the center of attention at dances, which always annoyed her. She stood out wherever she went because of her pale blonde hair and pale ice blue eyes. It was odd because her mother had dark hair and dark eyes. Her father had light brown hair and dark blue eyes. Her brothers were an even split between her mother's and her father's looks, but not her. Her father had explained that too. All the family members with the "gift" had light hair and light eyes.

She sighed as she thought on how she had wanted to start her new life fresh but her father wouldn't allow it without her being taken care of. Her part of inheritance would be given to her when she left. That had been her compromise.

She sniffed the air delicately. Fresh linen and sea reached her nose. The sound of footsteps on stairs. Her mastiff, Rem, that stayed with her got up to greet their guest. Her father was on his way up to see her. Everyone had a smell. It was perhaps developed from a job they did. Or maybe what they liked. That part was unclear. She turned to her room and stepped inside to wait for him. A firm, light knock echoed in her room.

"Enter." She called as she sat in a chair by the fireplace with Rem trailing her.

Her father entered quietly and approached her. He sat in the chair opposite of her and took both of her hands in his. He looked at her face silently for a moment, as if he was trying to memorize her features.

"Please take care of yourself my sweet, stubborn daughter." His voice barely above a whisper.

"Don't you worry, father. I shall take the utmost care. I will write every month." She managed to sound confident and strong.

He nodded and pulled her into a hug. She needed to be brave. Soon her adventure would begin. He released her and turned to pat Rem on the head.

That night her father regaled her with travels of his youth and discussed details of her trip overseas.

**

****

A/N: Welcome!! New readers to my books and those of you that came from TAK. I hope you enjoy this one 😉. This is a fantasy/were-animal book. I have a slight different spin on some things so keep an open mind! 😁