t h i r t y f i v e

the first court session was finally over and it was time to go back home.

we finally got to see mr miller in action and, honestly, the man was amazing at his job, he had a comeback for most arguments.

obviously, we couldn't deny that it wasn't mattia and i in the tape, but mr miller tried to steer it more towards a display of friendship than a display of love.

he explained to the judge that mattia and i were nothing more than good friends, and when questioned about why we were being so affectionate in the tape, mr miller would say that i was having a rough day and mattia was only comforting me.

it went well, but i couldn't help but worry about how this entire story that mr miller had created would be shattered to pieces when the judge found out that i was pregnant.

'looks like this whole thing might be over sooner than we think, you got a great lawyer, you should consider yourself lucky.' my mom said to me on the way out.

i gave her a discreet side-eye, she had been bugging me the whole day, saying annoying things whenever she could.

she probably didn't mean any harm, but i wasn't in the mood.

probably the hormones.

'can you not, mom?' i muttered.

'what do you mean, honey?' she asked, confused.

we got in the car and i made sure to shut the door, knowing i was about to explode.

'saying i should count myself lucky? like what's that even supposed to mean? there is literally nothing about this entire situation that is "lucky". i'm being punished for just wanting to live my life and love who i want. so, no, mom, i won't consider myself lucky.' i yelled, but quietly enough so that people outside wouldn't hear.

'y/n, that is enough.' she said firmly as i put my head in my hands, 'you broke the law. it should be me shouting at you, but i decided to be understanding and sympathetic because you're my daughter. i never want to hear that attitude again, do you hear me?'

i ignored her, and we spent the rest of the journey home in silence.