Chapter 7

"This is the letter he gave me to give you. I hate being a messenger." Hina sighed as she handed the envelope to Father Kōfuku. Hina had only just gotten back from Company One. She did exactly what she promised to do; as soon as she got out of the car she took her heels off. She wasn't tired or anything, she just felt that the orange jumpsuit was far more comfortable than her formal uniform. She went to Company Eight's church to talk to Father Kōfuku at the alter. "Thank you for keeping this a secret Miss Shinmon." Kōfuku said with a small smile. "No need to thank me. I understand that your uncle has many enemies. It needs to be kept a secret." Hina said. "I'll be leaving now." Hina said before leaving the church. Kōfuku looked down at his letter and chuckled at the wax seal.

Eleven Years Ago

He wasn't even ten yet.

"Who in their right mind would beat a nine year old?"

"That poor kid. Just look at him."

"Who would touch that boy? That's horrible he looks like an angel."

That's what they all said, never getting an answer out of anyone. Kōfuku's mom died during his birth. Leaving him with only his father. No one knew why everything went so wrong, so quickly. Kōfuku got most of his features from his father, but Kōfuku was also born with Heterochromia. His right eye is a light bluish green, and left one is light brown. Every time Kōfuku's father looked into his left eye he was reminded of his mother. Kōfuku's father had always been an angry man ever since Kōfuku's mom died but he always fed Kōfuku and took care of him just enough. Kōfuku did all the things his mother did when she was alive as he grew up and that further pushed his father over the edge. One day he just snapped. His father only slapped him on his right side. He kicked him around on his right side. He never dared to touch him on his left side. There would be days where he almost slapped the left eye then would refuse to beat him for the rest of the day, and instead he would be nicer and pat him on the head every time Kōfuku talked. Kōfuku's teachers at school noticed how stoic the child was getting and they saw how he would show up to schools with cuts and bruises. So like any sane adult, Kōfuku's teacher called child services. Kōfuku's father ended up getting arrested. Instead of getting sent to an orphanage Kōfuku was put in the custody of his only family member, his uncle, Leonard Burns. Leonard was at least thirty-nine when he met and seen Kōfuku for the first time in years. The only images of Kōfuku that Leonard had seen were his newborn baby pictures. He had no clue that his brother did such things to his child. It was so shameful and impure.

Leonard was called to pick Kōfuku up from foster care for the first time and was shocked. He didn't know what to say when he seen his nephew for the first time in such a state. His eyes were so dull and sad. The emotionless expression Kōfuku had could make a grown man cry. Kōfuku didn't care about anything. He wouldn't care that the world was burning if it was happening right in front of his eyes. It was such a sad sight that it made Leonard start to tear up a little as a small lump started to form in his throat. "This is my nephew? He looks so... sad but emotionless at the same time." Leonard thought. Leonard crouched in front of him. Kōfuku just stared at him, not a hint of confusion or fear on his face. He just gave him a blank stare. "Hi, I'm your uncle, Leonard Burns. Nice to meet you, what's your name kid?" Leonard asked. The man had never really had experience with taking care of kids to this extent. He even thought about not taking Kōfuku into his custody; doubting if he could really care for the boy. "He won't talk. I haven't once heard his voice." The woman who was taking care of Kōfuku said. "His name is Kōfuku Honō. He's nine years old." She said as she brought over a small book bag and a suitcase. "Kōfuku, you won't be living with me anymore. You will be living with your uncle from now on." The woman said. Kōfuku nodded and put on the small book bag she gave him. Leonard was still a Fire Soldier but despite that he was going to try his best to bless this child's life with things that he's never had before.