Chapter 52

The Great Hall was filled with students, who were all chatting about the news of the upcoming Ball while having supper.

James was sitting across a girl from his year at the Gryffindor table, staring at her with big, pleading eyes.

"Clarice, please," he leaned on the table. "Could you just do this one thing for me?"

She swallowed her food. "Could you just let me eat in peace?" She asked back.

"I will if you just say yes," he bargained.

Clarice raised her pierced eyebrow at him. "James, I'm asexual."

"Yes," he nodded, "but Mia doesn't know that."

She let out a frustrated sigh. "Why can't you just ask her normally?"

"Because I'm not normal," he shrugged. "So? Will you do it?"

"No," she said before taking another bite out of her sandwich.

James groaned. "Come on! You owe me one, I helped you with your DADA essay last time!"

"Oh, wow," she put a hand over her heart. "And there I was, thinking that you did it because we're friends."

"We are!" James straightened up. "That's exactly why you should do this for me!"

"So not because I owe you one?" She gave him a questioning look.

"I – ugh, just... please?" He tilted his head to the side.

"Can't you ask someone else?"

"I could, but you're the best option," he stated.

Her eyes widened. "Meaning?"

"You're like... super pretty," he smiled at her charmingly.

Clarice rolled her eyes. "You know damn well that doesn't work on me."

James chuckled. "Of course I know. But still, it's true."

"Well, I can't argue with that," she tucked her short, curly black hair behind her ears.

His eyes lit up. "Is that a yes?"

"Oh, okay, fine, whatever," she gave in, pushing her plate away. "I'll do it."

"Brilliant!" James grinned, then he squinted his eyes, staring at the back of Mia's head. "Hurry, she might be leaving soon."

He stood up and walked over to Clarice, then they started walking next to the Ravenclaw table towards the exit of the Great Hall.

The girl took a big, annoyed breath before clearing her throat. "James, please!"

"No, Clarice, I'm sorry," he said loudly. "You're lovely, but I can't go with you."

She frowned. "Why not?"

"I just... I can't, I really am sorry," he apologized again.

"Did someone else ask you already?"

"Well, yes –"

"Oh, I see," she narrowed her eyes.

"But I said no to them too!" James added quickly.

"Why can't you go with me, then?"

"I just can't, okay?! That's it."

They stepped out of the Great Hall.

Clarice stopped and crossed her arms over her chest.

"What?" James gave her a confused look.

"No one else actually asked you, correct?" She raised her eyebrows at him.