chapter nine - it's just drinks.

warning: alcohol

warning: alcohol

      SEVERAL MONTHS later, Aaron and Ophelia grown strangely close, doing paperwork in his office together rather than alone, sitting next to each other on plane and car rides, and even carpooling to work and home on odd days, all of which the team picked up on. Emily even snapped a picture of the two as Ophelia's head drooped onto Aaron's shoulder on a long plane ride.
      "Drinks tonight, Ophelia," Derek announced as he approached her desk. "You coming?" She gave a glance in Aaron's direction, the door shut to his office but his blinds still open. She was about to say no, when Derek interrupted her.
      "He's coming too, princess," He teased. "Don't get too excited," Ophelia rolled her eyes.
      "I just have some paperwork to turn in, that's all," This was true, but that's not why she looked in his direction. He nodded, his eyebrow crooked up.
      "Sure, you keep telling yourself that," He grabbed his leather jacket off the back of his chair and folded it in his arms as he left the office. Why not? She thought. It's just drinks. Her and Spencer were the only ones left at the office other than Aaron. She turned to look at him, who was already watching her.
      "What?" She raised her eyebrows expectantly. He shook his head, which was propped up by his fist.
      "You are so falling for the boss," He murmured, chuckling lightly. She gasped and shoved his arm, making his head droop.
      "Am not!" She laughed, blushing furiously. He raised is eyebrows as if to say 'whatever'. He checked his watch and began to stand.
      "Hey, are you meeting the team at the bar?" She asked, turning her chair around to face him as he approached the glass doors.
      "Yeah, I just have to go home and change. Wanna ride with?" He twirled his keys in his fingers. Ophelia smiled and nodded, gathering her things quickly. She followed Spencer to the elevator but not without giving another glace in Hotch's direction. Amazingly, he was watching her too. Her smile instantly grew wider and she waved goodbye to him. He did the same.

      Spencer and Ophelia stopped at her apartment before driving to the bar so she could change out of her unfavorable black slacks and matching blouse. She ushered Spencer through her creaky front door and closed it with her hip.
      "So, this is where Ophelia Holmes resides," He mused, taking in his surroundings. Her apartment was like a polar opposite to Aaron's. Cool-toned furniture and navy black-out curtains gave her living room an almost dream-like look. She was also cursed with florescent lighting, thanks to the cheap electrical work in her building.
      "I'll only be a minute," She smiled, placing her bag on the couch in front of them. Spencer still gazed around aimlessly.
      "No family photos," He droned, not expecting Ophelia to hear. But, evidently she did, because he hear her call "Nope!" from her bedroom. "And stop profiling my apartment!" He chuckled as he looped around the living room, reaching an uncommonly large book case in place of where a television would normally be. He trailed his finger along the spines of her numerous books, all different jewel colors. All works he had read, of course. Just as he was about to take one off the shelf and begin reading, Ophelia stepped out of her room. A ruby, silk slip dress hung off of her curves in just the right way. He marveled at the sight. Not in a sexual way, more of a "I've only seen you in office clothes so compared to that you look incredible" kind of way. Ophelia blushed.
      "No TV?" He asked. Ophelia was expecting a compliment. She rolled her eyes and grunted.
      "I told you to stop profiling my apartment!" She whined, taking her coat off its respected hanger. He quickly marched in front of her, taking her coat out of her hands and holding it in front of him for her to slip into.
      "You look amazing," He admitted. She thanked him and shrugged her coat over her shoulders, being sure to pull her rich, wavy brown hair out of the back.
      "You are just like Hotch," She scrunched her nose in a questioning manner. He opened the door for her and stood next to her while she locked the door.
      "Just as mysterious and quiet," He continued. Ophelia smiled. It comforted her to know that her and Aaron were similar. Aaron. God, how she missed him. She quickly brushed those thoughts away and linked her arm with Spencer's, allowing him to lead her to his car and off to the bar.

      Multicolor lights droned around the room, illuminating a sea of dancing bodies next to the bar. Emily, JJ, and Derek sat across the room at small round tables, munching on peanuts as they waited for the rest of the group to arrive. Derek had returned with the first round of shots, which were still lined up on the table. Penelope lightened their spirits when she arrived.
      "Hey, what gives?" She started. "Where's genius boy and the two lovebirds?" The team shrugged, with no answer. Derek stood, wrapping his arm around her shoulders.
      "You look beautiful, baby girl," She smiled, used to his flashy comments.
      "Why thank you," He offered her his seat and she gladly took it.
      "Hey, look who's here," Emily began, standing up. Aaron approached the table, still in his work clothes. This was normal for him, hence why the team didn't question it. Emily handed him a shot and he chuckled.
      "Hi guys," He greeted, looking thankful that Emily didn't demand that he down the shot immediately.
      "We're still waiting on wonder boy and his date," Derek joked. This caught Hotch's attention, almost glaring at Derek.
      "Date?" He asked, raising a questioning eyebrow.
      "Hotch, I'm joking," He placed a comforting hand on his shoulder as to calm his nerves. "Spence just gave Ophelia a ride to her apartment to change," He stifled a sigh of relief. He didn't want to impose if Ophelia and Spencer were in a relationship. The team fell silent for a moment before greeting the two agents in question as they walked in. Aaron stood from a far, eyeing Ophelia. Boy, did she look incredible. Her dress hugged her in all the right places and he wished it was his hands-
      "Aaron," Ophelia stepped in front of the tall, stern man and smiled gently. Aaron. He loved how she was the only one that called him by his first name. He smiled down at her, still taking in the view. Before he could greet her, Derek shoved a shot of god knows what in her hand. They laughed to each other as they heard Derek count down from three. They regrettably obliged, gulping down the tainted liquid as quickly as they could. Ophelia's face screwed up in disgust while Aaron just huffed. She clicked her tongue, begging for a chaser. Aaron smiled and stifled a laugh. He took this as an opportunity to get himself a drink and got her a glass of white wine, which he remembered she liked from the night at his apartment. He reached the table again and handed Ophelia her tall glass, keeping the stout glass for himself.   
      "Thank you, " She coughed, still feeling the burning effects in her throat from the shot. She took the lime off the rim of her glass; she hated them. She downed nearly half of it, just trying to get that god awful taste out of her mouth.
      "You gonna be okay?" He teased, doing just fine with his neat whiskey. She rolled her eyes, taking one last sip before setting her glass down.
      "Just fine," She replied, leaning her forearm on the table and turning to look out at the dancing crowd. He took the opportunity to take in her figure once more. Thin, silk straps begged to be broken and the slit that sat on her thigh was calling his name. He let his mind wander until Emily pulled Ophelia onto the dance floor. He tried not to stare too much.