chapter twenty-nine - the godfather.

THERE SHE was. Coming out of the elevator, pushing a stroller. Standing next to her, Jack was lightly gripping the back of her shirt; a habit he had developed since spending most of his time with her while she was on maternity leave. Spencer, who glanced at the door practically every minute, anxiously waiting her arrival, sprang to his feet to meet her.
      "Lia!" He called out, gaining the attention of the team. They all followed suit and gathered around the young mother. She smiled and spread her arms out for Spencer to fold himself in to. Jack had already ran off to see his father in his office
      "Hey, Spence," She chuckled. He hugged her so tightly, she thought he was trying to crush her. "Hey, guys," JJ bent over the stroller to coo down at Jude and Derek did the same. Emily waited patiently for Spencer to release Ophelia.
      "Hi, love," she said through a smile. She rubbed Ophelia's back with praise. Spencer left Ophelia's side to see what the other agents were marveling at, and tears nearly filled his eyes.
      "I can't believe you made this," Derek sighed, gently patting Jude's cheek with the tip of his finger. Ophelia giggled as she watched all four of them play with Jude, who had just woken up from her second nap of the day. She squeaked as she yawned, stretching her tiny limbs out of her stroller seat. Spencer gasped, clasping his hand over his mouth.
      "Best cancelled day off ever," JJ chuckled, not taking her eyes off of Jude. Ophelia was left standing alone for a moment before Jack led Aaron through the glass doors of the bullpen.
      "Look who's here," he smiled, meeting Ophelia's gaze. She returned the gesture and opened her arm for him to slide in to. He bent down to meet her lips, his smile never leaving his face. The team didn't even notice as they were still preoccupied with Jude.
      "Do you guys wanna hold her?" Ophelia asked, letting Aaron's arm drape around her back.
      "Can we?" Emily's head perked up excitedly with pleading eyes. Ophelia nodded and folded back the hood of the stroller. She took Jude into her arms, who babbled in protest.
       "I think her godfather should go first," she smirked, looking directly at Spencer. He pursed his bottom lip out adorably, holding his hands out. Jude leaned into his chest, earning a few awes from the team.
      "Hey, Jude," he breathed. Jude looked around aimlessly as he supported her neck with his hand. "I'm your godfather." Aaron joined Spencer at his side, looking down at his daughter in his hands. She
made a spitting noise with her mouth and they laughed.
     "She's so beautiful," JJ whispered, captivated by her. Ophelia looked to her knowingly and smiled.
      "I'm glad you think so, godmother," she teased, nudging JJ with her elbow. Her eyes immediately lit up as she wrapped Ophelia in her arms.
      "Are you serious?" Her voice was shocked and bright as she squeezed Ophelia. She chuckled and hugged her back.
       "Completely," she said admittedly. They broke away, and JJ still gazed at her with amazement.
       "I literally couldn't be happier right now." She clasped her hands together and the smile never left her face.
      "I'm glad," Ophelia smiled back, tucking her hands into her pockets. JJ joined the rest of the group, who was now crowded around Jude in Spencer's arms.
      "Statistically I know babies aren't that fragile, but boy am I afraid to break her," Spencer joked, not taking his eyes off of Jude.
      "Here, let the professional take over," JJ mused, slipping her arms under Jude's head and legs. She gladly slipped into her arms and stared up at JJ. She smiled down at her, slightly rocking her in her arms. Wanting some attention, Jack tugged on Ophelia's shirt like he often would. She looked down at him and smiled, ruffling his hair with her hands. He returned a smile and wrapped himself around her waist, letting his cheek rest on her hip. Aaron noticed this and couldn't help but smile. He joined them at Jack's side and watched as his friends and coworkers still marveled at Jude.
       "Hey," he chimed, causing Ophelia to look his way. Once she saw his face, she blushed. He still gave her butterflies.
       "Hey," she responded.
       "We made that." He gestured to Jude, earning a chuckle from Ophelia.
      "Yes, you're right," she mused. "We made that."