chapter twenty-eight - home.

THE NEXT week was spent at the hospital, nurses monitoring Jude and Ophelia every few hours. Jack insisted that he spend the weekend in their room at the hospital, saying that since he didn't have school, there was no reason not to. Aaron finally gave in when Ophelia convinced him. She really missed him, and she just couldn't wait for him to see his baby sister. She was nervous, of course he would have questions, but she didn't really expect what actually happened.
      "Are you my daddy's girlfriend?" She swallowed the urge to widen her eyes at the boy, and in turn looked to Aaron. She had never really considered it, she just knew she loved him and Jude. Aaron cleared his throat, picking up on your cry for help.
      "Yes, Jack, she's-" He glanced over at her and Jude, and he smiled. "She's my girlfriend," The boy looked at her, holding his baby sister, and another question came to the front of his mind.
       "Does that mean I have to call her Mommy?" His face was wiped clean of all expression and he just stared at his son. Ophelia saw this and spoke up.
       "N-not unless you want to, dear," Aaron was still silent. Jack payed no attention to his father, though.
      "Okay," He smiled and, just like that, he was fine. He climbed into bed with Ophelia as she held Jude in her arms, cuddling up next to them. She opened her arms and let him rest his head on her shoulder. Aaron turned to her, clearly shocked. They both let out a short chuckle, still baffled.
      "I hope that was the right thing to say—"
      "No, honey, it was perfect," Jack still cooed at his sister, unaware of their conversation. Aaron inched closer, sitting next to them on the bed. "We should talk to him later, though," She nodded and looked down at the two as they babbled back and forth. Then, as if the events had finally caught up with her, she turned her head up to look at him with a sly smile on her face.
"Girlfriend, hm?"
"I was hoping you wouldn't remember that," He chuckled lightly and looked at the floor bashfully. "I wanted to formally ask you," She blushed.
"Go ahead, then," She teased him. He shook his head and cupped her cheek in his hand.
"Ophelia Holmes, will you be—"
"Yes," She giggled, leaning to him. He followed and connected their lips.
"Ew!" Jack's nose turned up in disgust.
"Sorry, buddy," Aaron smiled, still gazing at her.

Later in the night, when Jack had fallen asleep cuddled next to Ophelia, Aaron took Jude in his arms to put her to bed. Ophelia let her body rest underneath Jack and closed her eyes. Aaron held his  daughter for a moment, just taking her in. His family had doubled within the week and he couldn't have been happier. A woman he once knew as interim chief was now the mother of his child. Suddenly, three and a half years ago seemed like an entirely different lifetime. Thinking back to how he told her he wasn't ready seemed comical to him now. Today, he was ready to be a father, a husband, and so much more, as long as it was with her. He laid her tiny body in the hospital bassinet. Her gentle gurgling noises instantly made him smile. She would have a big day tomorrow; the day they got to go home. He placed a gentle kiss on her head and walked back to Ophelia's side.
"You should get some rest," She whispered, fighting to keep her eyes open.
"You're the one that needs to rest, love," He kissed the top of her head too and smoothed the hair out of her face. She offered a weak smile. "You're beautiful," She hummed, letting her eyes rest as she smiled widely.
"I love you," She whispered again as she took his hand in hers and kissed his knuckles.
"I love you," He gave her a crooked smile and descended onto the cot that laid next to her bed. It was wildly uncomfortable, but he tried to focus on other things as he drifted to sleep. They were going home tomorrow, and that was enough.

The day started early, earlier than Ophelia would have liked, because Jude began to cry at five am sharp, and she couldn't go back to sleep after being fed. Aaron awoke with a jolt, making Ophelia giggle, but he went right to sleep after Jude drifted off in Ophelia's arms. Jack didn't even wake up. He just clung on to Ophelia's waist as he softly snored. After Aaron had awoken for the second time, this time on his own terms, Ophelia was still lying with Jude on her chest and Jack under her arm.
"Super mom," He mused, rubbing his eyes. She smiled tiredly. She would rather do nothing more. "What time is it?" He yawned and extended his arms.
"Seven I think," She yawned back. Aaron smiled and made his way to Jacks side of the bed, gently shaking him.
"Hey, buddy," He whispered. Jack rubbed his eyes too and turned to his father. Aaron took him in his arms and placed him on the cot, where he had previously been laying. "When do the nurses come in?" He fell into the seat by the bed. Before she could answer, a soft knocking sounded on the door, then a turn of the handle.
"Good morning, Miss Ophelia," She was way to excited at seven in the morning. All of her nurses were like that. She assumed it was a newborn baby thing. She smiled weakly at the bubbly nurse in response. "How are we feeling?" She nodded.
"Good," The nurse took Jude in her hands and Ophelia immediately missed her warmth on her chest. Her stethoscope met her little chest and she began to wake up.
"Good morning, Judith," The nurse cooed as she continued her exam. Ophelia chuckled softly at the sound of her name. That was her baby. She created it, and with the man of her dreams. The nurse handed Jude to Aaron and helped Ophelia sit up so she could begin her exam. She paid no attention to what the nurse was doing, only Jude in Aaron's arms and how he cooed down at her with his comforting smile. Once the nurse was done, she left and returned with discharge papers. Finally. Since Jude was considered a premeture baby, she was required to stay at the hospital for a while longer than they would usually keep newborns, and without any visitors.
"Have you told Spencer and JJ yet?" Aaron asked as Ophelia scribbled on the papers. She smiled at him with excitement.
"No, I wanted you to tell them with me," He let out an amused breath. "You're their chief. I figured it would mean more coming from you,"
"You've been their chief too," He pointed out. "And you will be again when I stay home with Jude," She shook her head and went back to her paperwork. "You're very special to them, Ophelia," She smiled at him in thanks as he rocked their daughter in his arms. Of course she knew they were her friends too, especially Spencer, but she couldn't help but feel like a third wheel sometimes. After all, they'd been together for years before her, and probably many years after. After. It was subconscious, but it was still there. Would Ophelia be there for the rest of her life? She began this job as just a substitution; it's not what she really wanted to do. Now with Jack, and especially Jude, would there be an after the BAU? The FBI all together? She shook those thoughts out of her head and set the papers aside. She had much more important things to worry about, like taking Jude home.

      Their apartment smelled like it always had, like firewood and freshly clean laundry. Warm light filled the living room and kitchen, instantly putting Ophelia at ease from the bright fluorescence of the hospital. Boy, was she glad to be home. As soon as they stepped through the door, Jack ran into the nursery, earning a confused look from Ophelia.
      "Come on," Aaron smiled sheepishly. "We have something to show you," She chuckled and followed the two into the nursery, Jude still sound asleep in her carrier as it hung on Ophelia's arm.
      Her eyes scanned the room, taking in the familiar cotton walls and neutral furniture. Her eyes landed on something new. A wooden rocking chair with a fluffy grey pillow on the seat. She instantly knew where it came from.
      "You?" Her eyes widened in shock as she set Jude on the floor gently. He nodded and blushed. She approached the chair, feeling the groove of the wood under her fingertips, which landed on a textured monogram at the back of the chair. A large, elegant H was placed in the center, where her head would be if she sat in it. "Hotchner," She breathed, tracing the letter with her finger.
      "Or Holmes," He added. She giggled and wrapped her arms around his waist.
      "Thank you," She mumbled into his chest. He rubbed her back before they broke away.
      "One more thing," He gestured towards the other side of the room where Jack stood, his back against the wall. The boy smiled knowingly at his father, who have him the go ahead to reveal what he was hiding. Two blue hand prints were placed in the center of the wall, above where they planned to put a toy box. She inched closer and saw purple scribbles
under the palms of the hand prints. "Daddy" under the larger print, and "Jack" under the smaller one. She smiled at the empty spaces above "Mommy" and "Jude". She crouched down to Jacks level, trying not to let the tears prick her eyes.
      "You are the best little brother ever," She smiled, pulling the boy into her chest.
      "You're the best mommy ever," He replied. Her breathing hitched.
      "Hey, buddy," She pulled him out of her chest and rested her hands on his shoulders. Her smile disappeared, and she looked to Aaron for help. She truly didn't know what to say. Aaron knelt on his knees next to her and placed his arm around her back. "Why do you think that, bug?" Her voice was soft, she didn't want to upset him.
      "Because you're here," He replied, still seemingly unfazed. She withdrew her hands and pushed her hair out of her face.
      "Your mommy is still here too, Jack," Aaron chimed in. Thank god. "She watches over you every day, you know that," The boy nodded.
      "Yeah, I know," He looked at both of them, probably confused as to what was wrong.
      "Look, bug," She took the boy's shoulders in her hands again, meeting his gaze. "You know I love you, right?" He nodded. "So then you know that I would never try to replace your mommy," He nodded again. "Your mommy and your father and I all love you just the same. Just because your mommy isn't physically here, doesn't mean she's your mom any less, okay? We're always gonna release those lanterns you like and have cake on her birthday, and light a candle for her as often as you like. Just because I had your sister doesn't mean that all just goes away," Aaron rubbed her back and Jack looked down at his feet.
      "Hey, buddy," He met his fathers eyes. "You didn't say anything wrong, okay?" Ophelia shook her head in agreement. "We just want to make sure you know all this stuff," The boy nodded once more. "Bring it in," He wrapped his arms around the two and Ophelia did the same. She felt Jack smile in between her and Aaron as he squeezed them together.
      "Daddy," He strained. "Can't breathe," They all chuckled and released one another. Ophelia cupped the boy's cheek in her hand.
      "I love you, okay?" He smiled.
      "I love you too, Mommy,"