Chapter 8: Basketball Games & Surprises

Zedd showed up the next day at school, so did Alessia and she looked angry. Zedd and I simply exchanged a few glances but it was hard to talk with everyone staring at us. I couldn't wait for something else to happen that would take everyone's mind off of Zedd and I. It also didn't help that my neighbors kept glaring at him and anytime I would even glance his way, they'd have disapproving expressions. The only period I actually felt free was the office period, and as per usual, there wasn't anything to do.

"Okay you two, I need one of you guys to agree to do the tickets tonight for the basketball game," the receptionist came and said.

Zedd and I both looked at each other with irritated looks, "Why do we have to do that?"

She smiles, "Because we have to grade you on something and this could be one of those things. Now we can strike a deal, no one wants to spend their Friday afternoon here at school, so if you do this, we'll buy you guys food next week."

I think I'd rather starve than do this. I sigh, "If it's for a grade, fine."

Zedd nodded in agreement but I can tell he hates this too, "Agreed."

She beamed, "Perfect, so tonight at six I expect to see you two at the counter. Once the game has started, which will be at seven, you can either watch it or go."

Sure I'll definitely watch it, I think, and very, very faintly, I swear I hear Zedd respond, tell me about it. I look over at Zedd who still is looking annoyed at the receptionist but his expression doesn't falter. Maybe I'm hearing his voice because we've been hanging out too often. I shook that off and decided to focus back to reality. We were let out early so I went home and took a nap before I had to be back at school. I'm awakened by a loud knock at the door.

Sleepingly, I tredge down the stairs and open the door to see my neighbors standing there. I try to stifle a yawn, "Can I help you?"

Alice's face is straight, "You're doing the ticket counter with Zedd?"

How the hell did they find out about that.

I'm on the yearbook, I hear Alice's voice ring.

I roll my eyes, "We have to do it for the office class. They need something to grade us on, and no one else wanted to do it."

Cain leans against the door, a frown on his face, arms crossed, "I don't like the idea."

"You don't like the thought of Zedd."

He nods, "That too."

"Guys will you stop," I say, firmly, "Look, we go to the same school, we're bound to talk and run into each other. We have office class together, we can't avoid each other."

Elijah steps in between Cain and I, trying to break the tension, "Okay everyone, let's take a deep breath. Here's what we'll do. Victoria is right, she can't avoid him and since it's for a grade, she can't not go. Alice has to go too, why don't we all just go. We can keep an eye on everything."

This is ridiculous, I do not need babysitters.

"That idea is not bad," Chris puts in, "So it's official, we'll all be there to keep an eye out for anything."

I decide arguing is futile so I agree. After they leave I decide to get ready. I throw on a light blue tank top, ripped jeans, tucking my tank top in them, and white Adidas Superstars. I put my hair in two French braids and add some mascara and lipgloss. I make it to school with a couple minutes to spare, and Zedd is already there, tapping his fingers on the wood desk. We're situated right outside the gym and I could already tell this was going to drag on forever. My neighbors aren't here yet so I can breathe easily.