Chapter 18: Face-off

I don't know how long I've been running but almost every door is locked. I keep trying to reach the others via telepathy but no luck. I duck into a classroom, hiding next to the door so they can't see me and try to catch my breath. I can't believe I'm escaping witch hunters. All I wanted was a normal teenage night. I hear their voices and footsteps coming down the hall and hold my breath. Please, please keep going.

I hear them come to a halt before one of them tells the others to split up. They all take in opposite directions and I wait a couple seconds before peering out the window. As far as I can see, the hallway is clear. I slowly open the door. Seeing no one, I take my heels off and head down the hall running towards the gym. I'm almost there when one of the classroom doors swing open, making me fall back as the door barely misses me. I fall onto the ground and see the same guy from before.

"You're feisty, I'll give you that," he says. I use my telekinesis to send one of the desks flying at him. He dodges it but I use the distraction to get up and run again. I don't get far before another one of his guys comes running out of the other hallway, blindsiding me, and tackling me down. I slam to the ground, hitting my head, knowing I must have cut it open because I feel something warm trickling down my face. The guy who tackled me grabs my arms and lifts me, holding my wrists tightly. He turns me to face the other guy, who must've been their leader, who shakes his head.

"I actually like you Victoria, I think you're quite interesting."

"Spare me whatever monologue you have planned," I spat at him, "If you're going to kill me, let's get this over with."

He points the tip of his knife at my throat, "You shouldn't dismiss people so quickly, especially if they have a deal to offer you. Tell me what your friends are wearing, and I'll give you a quick and painless death. Particularly those bastard twins."

Why does he want Zedd and Alessia?

"I don't know who you're talking about."

I feel a sharp pain in my stomach, as the guy next to the leader of this group of hunters punches me in the stomach. I cough as the guy holding my wrists brings me up again.

"Are you sure?" the leader grins.

"Positive."

This time the guy holding me releases me just as the other one punches me in the face. I crumble to the ground, tasting blood in my mouth. I groan, pushing myself up, only to be kicked in the abdomen again. The leader squats down next to me, grabbing my hair and lifting my head up.

"This doesn't have to be painful, Victoria. Just tell me what I want to know."

I spit in his face. His cool demeanor changes into something more sinister. With his other hand, he grabs me by the throat, slamming me into the lockers. I feel a sharp pain as I look down and see his knife in my stomach. He smiles smugly as his hand tightens around my throat. I claw at his hand to get him to release but it doesn't phase him.

"You know Victoria, there's something about you. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. When I came into town for the twins, there was a darkness that made me quiver. I couldn't find the source of it until you bumped into me. The same darkness hit me as it did when I first came to town. There's a darkness inside of you Victoria, a darkness so sinister that I think I'm doing the world a favor by ending you right here and now."

My vision begins to go dark as he tightens his grip. I feel my hands drop to my sides and my body won't listen to me anymore. He shrugs, "Such a shame, I would've enjoyed seeing whatever you were going to do with all that evil."

Before he can tighten his grip again, a giant gust of wind blows him back. I fall to the ground, gasping for breath. I turn and see Zedd standing there, jaw clenched, and his eyes growing darker. Next to him is Alessia who is eyeing the hunters like they're her prey, while my friends are standing behind them. The leader of the hunters laughs as he stands up, "Well looks like we're having a party tonight boys."