CHAPTER 13: It Can't Be

I stared out of the glass wall, down at the roads. I was tired, exhausted, physically as well as mentally.
I have been searching for that inner peace, satisfaction all these years but I failed to find it.
Seven years back, this is what I wanted; money, power, fame. And I thought that along with it I will find that peace even but I was wrong.

I was not yet satisfied with my life and now it's not money that I want, I don't want that anymore.
I always knew what will give me that satisfaction but...I am not able to find it. My soulmate; that's what I craved for and that's what I will be craving for all my life.

I walked upto my desk and pulled out my old diary, a diary in which I used to write my dreams, my romantic dreams.
Flickering through the pages, I stopped at a particular one in which I wrote a small letter to my soulmate.
And I read it out softly:

"To my soulmate,
Wish I could be in your arms right now, and every other problem will disappear cause in that moment, it will be only you and I that will matter.
And the storm will settle cause I will find my missing part, cause I will find YOU."

I sighed, smiling at my letter which I wrote to someone whom I didn't even know; I don't know who he is, how he is, where he is. Did God even create one for me?

The letter was old, the words were old but it still made sense to me, my soulmate was all I needed.
And now...I was married to Isaac. Can he be my soulmate?
I pondered upon that but failed to find an answer.

If my soulmate is out there, he will find me anyhow.

A knock on my door interrupted my thoughts as I gave the permission, Josh entered.

"You need to leave for your meeting", he reminded me.

"Yeah, thanks."

Grabbing my purse, I left the office and after sometime, I reached one of my restaurants where the meeting was going to be held between me and one of our client.

With Josh following behind me, we reached a private area where our client was already seated and soon the meeting started...

As the meeting finished, I got up and shook hands with the client and left the restaurant.

"Where's the car?", I asked Josh coming out of the restaurant.

"I'll call the driver", he said and after talking with the driver he informed me that the car will be here in a minute.

"Will you mind if I just go and grab some pantry item? I actually ran out of them", Josh asked with puppy eyes and how could I say no to him.

"Just give me five minutes", he added and I told him to go.

As he left, I started walking up and down the street just like that when I spotted an alley and what made it stand out was the faint cries that I could hear.

The moment I walked towards the alley, I spotted a small girl, sitting with her back against the wall and one of her legs was tucked under her while the other was sprawled on the ground.

Her head was down while she cried, a dirty frock and blonde hair.

I approached her slowly.

"What happened?", I asked her,
crouching down to her.

She stopped crying and slowly lifted her head, tears stained her cute, innocent face and there was something very familiar about those brown eyes.

Her sight melted my heart and I felt like crying on seeing her condition.