Chapter 36

•❅─────────✧❅✦❅✧─────────❅•
36 - Happiness has a Price

•❅─────────✧❅✦❅✧─────────❅•36 - Happiness has a Price

Sirius Black the third wasn't fond of his biological family, not entirely. The brightest star always had a strong gut that he wasn't in the right place. In the middle of his aristocratic family, the heir was, and always would be the odd duck. Forever seeking the seat he was meant to be in Christmas dinner, even when the empty chair was right in front of him.

It was almost dimensional, how the mind of the late eleven-year-old was floating somewhere else to James Potter's letter when his father spoke of blood purity. Of course, the news of his presumed faulty sorting had caused an up-roar─────the horned devil had put a target on the boy, like a red flag on the head of a furious bull.

Showered with the finest emerald and silver silk robes, impeccable manners, and whatnot—did not guarantee the house he was sorted into. It would not change the person Sirius was, because soul evolved from time to time, not some kind of overnight spell the muggle fairy tale had. His hatred was built like tossing coins to a wishing well. The dislike morphed bigger, stronger and it avalanched inside of him.

Sirius was never a family traitor because blood was no longer his requirement to call one's a family. And the boy had found one in James Potter, Remus Lupin, Peter Pettigrew and the list kept growing as he ventured the world in the eyes of his sixteen-year-old self. He had enough, he was much happier compared to fifteen years living in the fancy estate of Black.

      Friends were all he needed, they were his family. So when Remus Lupin dashed in the Gryffindor's common room with sweaty palms and unattentive eyes, almost mortified—the boy knew something was wrong with his real family.

       "Gemma." Remus called out, his lungs expanded rapidly from the running through the moving stairs. "Is Gemma here?"

       "Use your eyes Moony, little bird is not here." James straightened his shoulders, not caring that he had only one card left on his hand which was vital for the card game Lily had brought to their group. The next person to respond was the blond, he rose from his seat faster than flying.

        "What happened?" Martin queried right back, tone same breathless, sensing the urgency faster than Gryffindors in the room. Remus then gulped harshly while the rest of them, finally taken notice of the oddity.

       "It's—I heard—I heard Flitwick and McGonnagal on my way here. Say...say they were looking for her, it's about her family..." the room sunk into silence at that, Sirius got off his seat absentmindedly. The girl would be wrecked whatever happened to them, he knew that, the McKinnons knew that too. Hastily, Remus went on. "They are searching for her in the dormitory but she was nowhere—"