Chapter 3

Her mother's funeral was carried out with few people in attendance. Everyone came up to her,consoling her till she got tired.
She couldn't believe her mom was gone, just like that,she gazed on,staring hard at the portrait of her mother,hanged up in the sitting room. She smiled,and then said"Rest in peace mom. Your daughter loves you".

"Debbie.." Her father started.
She turned to him."Dad?".
"U hmm...there's something I want to tell you"...she wondered what that could be.
"Okay?".He scratched his head,thinking of the best way to tell her,he knew she won't like what he was going to say.
"We'll be relocating". She felt she didn't hear him correctly. When he didn't say anything,she knew it was real.
She stared at him in shock."What?!Dad!..so soon? Why are we relocating? This is where my life is....mom's memories...why?".she never expected this.
"I know..but this place just reminds me so much of your mother..we need to move on".
"Move on?so fast?this is not right dad".she continued."we aren't even done grieving yet. There's still much time. How do I even start?. I'll have to leave my two best friends?".she was asking so many questions and her dad ran out of words.
He moved closer to her and held her shoulders.
"I want you to know that its for the best. You can start a new life there and besides,we are relocating to England". On hearing that,she removed his hands angrily.
"No dad! I don't want to... Start a new life?No....it's not for the best".she walked out,heading to her room.
He followed after her.
"Debbie...I need you to think about it. There's not much time left. We have to relocate soon".she noticed there was something odd about his sudden desire to relocate.
"Dad? Is there something you're not telling me?". His gaze suddenly shifted to the floor.
"There's nothing".he lied.
"Please tell me. Don't keep things from me. You promised remember?".
"Okay"..he studied her expression.."the house is for sale now. We have to move out in three weeks' time".he finally said.
"What're you saying now?".she was still confused.
"I'm broke. The company's not doing well. Your mom's medical expenses consumed all the money I had and now,I don't think there's hope here". He spoke. She just didn't know what to say anymore. Why was all this happening?And why now?. He noticed she was almost starting to cry again so he held her face.
"Baby don't cry".he hugged her closely.
"Dad,why is all these happening?and most of all,why now? First,mom's death and now this.".she was crying now.
"And why are we relocating to England?its far".she asked,removing her head from his chest.
"My friend stays there and he has volunteered to help".
"But what about my schooling? Its university dad not high school".she hoped something positive was going to come out of it.
"I'll just have to work thing out". That didn't answer her question."Or better still,you could school there".she flared up at this.
"No! At least being there will allow me see Tessa and Joseph".she argued.
"Debbie..please try and listen to me. We'll work everything out when we get there. I know all these is too much for you but we have to go". He confused,standing up. He moved towards the wall,where her mom's picture was.
"She'll always be in our hearts".he said,then left.

She flung herself on the bed and cried. What was she going to do? She felt alone. She stared at the ceiling,filled with her own thoughts. So this was how everything would turn out to be. She sighed,turned,hoping to sleep but she couldn't. Instead,she decided to call her best friends.

Things didn't sit well with them. There was nothing they could do. Tessa had even suggested allowing Debbie live with her,but there was no way her father would agree to that suggestion.
"So that's it?". Tessa asked through the phone.
"I guess so".she cleaned her face.
"You've been crying. You look so pale".Joseph noticed,concerned.
"Yeah. What can I do? I just can't deal with everything. I feel so empty,so alone".she sniffed as another tear dropped.
"Don't cry, and you're not alone. We're here for you. Remember?always and forever"...she smiled when she heard that.
"I know..Thanks guys.. For everything. I mean it....I want to sleep now..we'll talk later".she said.
"Okay then. We'll let you sleep,you need it".
"Bye".she hung up the call and soon drifted off to sleep.