Chapter Two

"I so need a coffee" I said mumbling trying to wake up. One thing I luckily brought wit me when I left my old place. Stumbling my way to the kitchen brought me back to my childhood here.

It was early and mom was in the kitchen cooking, she always did the day and night before Christmas. Walking up and sitting at the island while mom rolled out the dough and used her cookie cutters to cut out cookies, was always a favorite of mine.

She would always hum some Christmas music that I believed it was the little drummer boy. That song always made me feel good for what reason I'm not sure.

I would sit for hours and watch her move around the kitchen like she had wings on her back that I couldn't see, mom always moved with grace. She glided along putting the cookies in the oven, and the ones that were cooling were getting ready to be frosted which she always saved for me to help.

Mom never minded the mess that I would make, she always said that is part of the tradition of making cookies. Every mess can always be cleaned up, it's the fun part of making the mess. That was always her words that still rang in my head to this day.

The coffee pot beeped letting me know it was ready, pulling me out of my day dreams of mom and cookies.

Sitting on the couch with my coffee, looking around seeing what needed to be done. There was so much but I figured if I start by doing the small stuff it won't overwhelm me as if I put it all in one big lump.

With my coffee about done, my stomach grumbled its displeasure of no food in it, so I decided to get dressed and head to the store before the big storm hits, as it does every year like clockwork.

"Holy hell" I said as I opened the door and there stood a man that was about to knock on my door. "Oh, Sorry Laura, I didn't mean to scare you" Steve said. Looking at this man, I realized I knew him.

"I remember you, but I don't remember your name" I said as I shut the door and locked it. "I understand it's been around twenty years give or take, I'm Steve Lords, my parents used to take care of the cabin for your parents, but now I do" Steve said as he walked me to my car.

"Well, it's nice to meet you after all these years and thank you for looking after this place, but as I'm sure you know I'm living here now, and I don't think I will be needing you, but I have to run to the store before the storm hits tomorrow, lots to get done" I told him as I opened my car door and got in.

He just stood there so I shut it and waved as I started my car and drove off. "That was weird" I mumbled to myself, "course so is talking to myself out loud" I sighed. I always had a habit of talking to myself, not the best thing to do out in public.

But when I'm alone, it beats the silence that has been around the house for all those years. Plus, not having any friends per say takes a toll on you. My parents allowed me to have friends but none were ever allowed over.

They didn't want to hear a bunch of girls giggling through the night, mom said it would be too painful since my sister always had a ton of girlfriends over for sleep overs.

But ever since the accident, I wasn't allowed to, I wasn't allowed to do much around the house, I was mostly to be seen here and there and never allowed to say anything.

But outside of the house, my parents didn't care what I did, basically that's how it felt. Just like when I turned twenty-one and they gave me the keys and the deed to this place.

One night over dinner, our weekly ritual I told them I was moving up here for a fresh start, all I got was a "that's nice dear" and a "be safe don't keep in touch alright" before I left that night.

It's been a few months now since that night, I never contacted them and they as usual never contacted me either. I had gotten used to it; my mind liked to make things up as I was growing up.

Probably why I became a writer. I could immerse myself into a world that I can create and control. I can make up people who would love me and care for me, or I could create a fantasy land full of mythical creatures.

They sky was the limit and I also preferred the solitude it takes to be a writer. So, this cabin in the wilderness was the ideal situation. Now if only I could remember how to get to the damn store.