Chapter Twenty-Seven

"I wouldn't past anything when it comes to my aunt" Steve said as he got up and went to the tree and pulled out the box. Steve stood there for a moment looking at the box like he was contemplating on giving it or opening it.

I sat there watching him, my butterflies seemed to awaken from their fainting spell and went full force on the assault on my insides. My palms became a bit sweaty.

Why am I getting so nervous all of a sudden, it's just a box, a small box, it's probably nothing I kept telling myself. Don't jump to any conclusions Laura, I kept scolding my inner self.

"Everything okay Steve?" I asked getting up and walking over to him. He looked down at me, and I could tell he took a deep breath, "everything is fine, just this box was one my mom had always kept in her one special place.

I placed my hand on his arm, knowing that his parents passed away two years ago in a car accident. Seeing something of hers on this day was hard on him, you could just feel it in the room.

"If you want to open it in private, I can go and change to give you some time?" I said quietly, seeing he was having a moment. He turned to look at me, "I don't want you to go anywhere love, for this is for you actually" he said.

I was shocked, "oh okay" was all I could say at that moment. Was he not wanting me to have what was inside? I could understand if his aunt over stepped. I stood there looking up at Steve.

He turned to look at me, "my sweet little mouse, I have loved you since I met you actually, when we were just little shits, there was something that came over me, I had no idea what it was, all I knew is that I had to protect you and take care of you.

I didn't know what love was until I was older and realized all these years that it was you that kept my heart beating and my lungs full of air. You see my dear Laura you are my other half and I wouldn't be complete if we weren't together in every way possible" he said.

Steve got down on one knee in front of me and opened the box, there it was his mother's engagement ring from his father.

"Laura Parker, will you do me the honors of becoming my wife?" he asked me.

I let the tears flow freely, I have waited for this day since I was six years old, when I saw Steve protect me from the bullies the first time.

"Yes, Steve I would love to be your wife" I said through the tears and he slipped on the ring onto my finger. It was a perfect fit. He stood up and pulled me to him. His lips touched mine, and mixed with gentleness was love and needing to be as close as we could possibly get.

He looked down at me and I felt his hands on my back, slipping under my shirt and undoing my bra. Kissing me, I reached for his shirt under his jacket, I started to undo his buttons.

Nervous and shy at the same time, we took our time undressing each other right there in front of the fire. Steve laid me down on the blankets he placed by the fire.

We spent the next four hours exploring each other, kissing and touching not being able to get enough of one another. After wards we laid together kissing and still our hands ran over our bodies, not wanting to let go.

We fell asleep wrapped into each other, snuggled under the blankets. I felt at peace and more in love then I thought was ever possible. Tonight, was the best Christmas gift I could ever have hoped for.

It all started with a Christmas kiss that I wished for when I was young. Twenty years later I was laying by the fire on Christmas night, engaged to the man who was my protector and best friend and soon to be my husband for all eternity.

As my eyes closed pulling me to sleep, I gently touched Steve's cheek, "I will always love and protect you my bear, your little mouse might be tiny but my bite is bigger and stronger than you realize and I won't ever let anything ever come between us or hurt you" I whispered as I gently kissed his lips.

He pulled me closer and I laid my head on his chest right above his heart, "My little mouse is finally mine after all these years, soon to be my wife and mother to our kids" he whispered as we fell asleep embraced in each other's arms.