Chapter Ten

The day seemed to be flying by, we got most of the house decorated, and we stood back and looked around. It was like Christmas took over in here. There were wreaths and garland everywhere.

It was actually really pretty, the cabin was an actual log cabin that my dad had built for us, so at Christmas time, with the tree and the garland and candles everywhere, it took you back in time to a time of comfort and the feel of home, no matter where you called home.

"Well little mouse I say we have done it; everything looks perfect to me" Steve said looking around. I could see the smile on his face, I was happy that we were actually spending my first Christmas back here.

"It really does, thank you for your help, and for being stuck with me" I said and I had to laugh when he made a face of disgust but then he laughed. "Laura, I don't mind being stuck as you call it with you here, it will actually give us time to reconnect with each other and I am enjoying spending time with you here" he said in all seriousness.

"What are we going to do for dinner?" he asked. "Well why don't we have soup for tonight, it actually sounds good to me but I know since you're a male you like to eat" I said walking to the kitchen.

All of a sudden, I was picked up and I was hanging over his shoulder, I squealed. "I will have you know this man enjoys a good hot bowl of soup or two, thank you very much and for that comment implying I eat too much" he said as he smacked me on the ass, he opened the door and dropped me in a snow bank and laughed.

It took me a moment to process what he just did, "oh you are so going to get it" I Hollard at him, I grabbed a bunch of snow and formed it into a snowball which he didn't see because he was laughing to hard at what I just said.

Until I hit him directly in the face, which had me laughing until he had a look in his eyes, "so little mouse you think you can do that to the mighty bear" he growled. My eyes flew open when he threw and hit me in the chest with a snow ball.

"Mighty bear my ass" I yelled out and dodged a few incoming snowballs, while trying to hit him with mine. We lost track of time until I called a truce as I was starting to freeze.

Steve came over and picked me up and carried me inside, shutting the door with his foot he took me over and set me down right in front of the fireplace. "Warm up while I get you some dry clothes" he said and walked to my bedroom.

At this point I didn't care what he saw of my clothes, I was shivering and tried getting as close as I could to the fire without actually sitting in the fire. "You need to get out of those clothes" he said standing there.

I tried to stand up but my legs were too cold at this point to want to do anything I needed them to do. "Let me help you okay?" he asked. I nodded my head as my teeth were starting to chatter.

He bent down and slide my sweater off of me, and unhooked my bra, I saw he was trying hard not to look at me, he was being such a gentleman. He put on one of my big fluffy sweaters, then he helped me out of my jeans and put on my big ole comfortable sweatpants. I saw he found my stash of fussy socks which meant he was in my underwear drawer.

If I could blush at that moment I would have. After I was dressed, he draped a blanket over me which I gladly accepted. I hope I don't get sick; I can't afford that with him being here.

I was enjoying my time with him, and I really didn't want to be miserable even thought I know he would take great care of me, but still.

As I was sitting there warming up, Steve brought over a big bowl that held all the stuff for soup, he placed it on the hook and moved it over the fire. Every so often he was stirring it and the aroma was amazing.

My stomach growled in agreement.

"I was intending on making you dinner tonight, not the other way around you know" I said as I sniffed. "I don't mind, plus it was my fault I dropped you outside, I got carried away and didn't realize you weren't fully dressed" he said stirring the soup.

"Thank you" I said as I placed my hand on top of his, we sat there looking at each other for what seemed like eternity. I didn't want to look away, looking into his eyes made my butterflies fly even faster around.

The way his eyes darkened when he looked at me, made me feel good. He cleared his throat and stood up, "you're welcome, what are friends for" he said as he went into the kitchen.

How stupid could I be, I should have known he wasn't interested in me. Why do I keep getting my hopes up? Sitting there by the fire, watching it dance along, the memory came back from the last night we were here.

I remember sitting by the fire, listening to my parents talk to my uncle since he was going snowmobiling, and my sister wanted to go, I asked if I could and my sister said I was too much of a baby to go.

I heard my uncle promise them that they would be safe and just go out for a bit up and down the trails around the cabin, nothing to worry about. I remember Steve was there and pulled my sister aside.

He told her that he was worried and didn't want anything happen to her, and when she asked why did it matter, he said even though they were too young, he had feelings for her.

Once I heard that my little heart broke into a million pieces. After my uncle and sister were killed, Steve tried to be there for me, but I knew I was just a little kid he looked after.

These memories were flooding back to me and it made the tears well up and threatened to spill out. Of course, he thought of me as a friend, just the kid sister to a girl he had feelings for.

I sniffed and got up, as Steve was walking over with the bowls, "where you going? The soups about ready?" he asked as he set the bowls down.

"I'm not hungry right now, maybe later" I said and walked into my room and shut the door.