Chapter Three

I realized after all this time this town hasn't changed one bit. There was still Mr.'s Vickie's ice cream shop, oh I remember all the ice cream that I ate when I was little topped with tons of sprinkles.

Mom always complained about how much but dad, he would just smile and pat her hand and tell her that it was nothing but a treat. Dad used to let me get away with things like that until.

I saw the old hardware store; it got a facelift but the inside looked the same as it did twenty years ago. I bet Mr. Haver still runs it, a grumpy old man he was back then. Probably too stubborn to give it up.

A few more blocks I saw the grocery store, I didn't mind the walk, hopefully I could take a cart to the car. Once inside I spent the next hour wondering around picking out things, I knew I needed and some munchies that I could do without but if locked away in the cabin, I wanted something to cheer me up.

"Is that you Laura?" I turned around and saw a woman I barley recognized, "yes, but I'm sorry who are you?" I asked watching as she walked towards me. "Oh dear, I guess you wouldn't remember me after all these years, I'm Mabel, I'm Steve's aunt" she said as she came and gave me a hug.

"It is so nice to see you again my dear, it's been way to long. I heard that you are living in that cabin, make sure to call Steve if anything goes on and you're going to need a lot of firewood and gas for that generator for when the storm hits as you know it does", she said then patted my hand and walked away.

Standing there I must look like a fish out of water, my mouth hanging open, "will do Ms. Mabel" I called out. I went and got everything rung up. Not bad only two hundred dollars, okay so it's a lot to me, but this storm will blow in and last usually a week then gone like it was never there.

Except we will have over three to five feet of snow, no power and hopefully I can keep the side door shoveled enough to get to the wood shed that's a few feet from the side of the house.

Add that to my list, I should put half the wood in the garage, or well if you can call it that. It fits all the stuff to work around the property, not enough room for a regular car, maybe a toy car those young kids have now a days that are battery powered.

But a real car, nope. My dad always called it his garage though and I guess after all it just stuck with me.

I took the cart and filled up my backseat, locking the car I took the cart back. I got back to the car and saw Steve, he waved and smiled, I waved and smiled back. I figured I might as well be nice since I might need him.

It sounds shallow I know but I'm tired of being that girl that people think I need a man in my life, but I know for right now I need his help getting the cabin ready.

I unloaded the car with all the groceries and the rest of my suitcases. I made sure the generator was full and the extra gas was stored. I started up the fridge and made sure everything was set.

About four hours later I had the house dusted and cleaned. I turned on the stereo while I made some dinner, well I put a frozen pizza in the oven and hoped I didn't burn it.

I somehow sucked at cooking anything frozen but I wasn't wanting to make a full dinner at this moment. I just wanted something simple to eat while I finished unpacking.

The timer went off and I was surprised when I pulled it out, I actually didn't burn it. Taking a few slices, I settled down on the couch and watched the fire while enjoying a warm pizza.

It's been a few days since I had any actual food, fast food sure and this wasn't the best home cook type meal, but it was warm and oh so good.

After I was finished, I turned off the radio and put on a cd, one of slow love type songs. Something not to make you cry but ones that made you smile and remanence of young love.

I made sure there was enough fire by the fireplace and was about to get more when there was a knock on the door. Great who could that be, let me guess. I opened the door and there stood Steve.

"Hi Laura, I'm sorry to bother you but my aunt wanted me to come and make sure you were okay and that you had everything you needed" he said standing there not sure how to act.

I could tell he was nervous, "thanks Steve I really appreciate it, how about you come over tomorrow midmorning and we can go over what needs to be done" I said.

He smiled, "okay that sounds great, see you tomorrow" and he turned and left. I shut the door and smiled. He actually was a nice guy, sort of cute to.