Chapter Eight

Luckily Steve grew up in these parts, he was used to the power going out for days at a time. He made sure the coals were hot enough and the fire was low so he found the old pots and a kettle to use to cook over the fire.

After washing them Steve handed me the kettle so I could make coffee, it wasn't the best way but he bought the coffee singles so we put a few of those in the kettle so we had at least what would be the resemblance of coffee.

At this point anything is better than none. I didn't want a caffeine withdraw headache right now, there was too much going on in my mind to deal with.

Once the coffee was ready, I poured us some and set it aside on the hook that was tucked away in the fire place. "I always wondered why that was there" I said watching Steve pull it out and set the kettle on it.

"My dad installed it for your dad one day, I remember the power kept going in and out and your mom was fussing about wanting to go back to the city since she wanted her coffee.

So, between your dad and mine, they came up with this thing so that way it would stay hot but not burn whatever was in the kettle" he said as he swung the arm near the fire but not to close.

"Well, I'm glad your dad thought of it, I really couldn't deal with another disaster right now" I said sipping on my coffee, walking over to the window and couldn't believe my eyes.

"How much do you think it snowed over night?" I asked. Steve walked over to stand next to me, "I'm thinking we have about three feet right now, and it doesn't look like it's going to stop any time soon" he said.

The both of us just stood there watching the snow come down while we held onto our coffees to keep the cold from seeping into our bones. The fire is keeping the cabin perfect but still, have you ever just watched a snow storm and somewhere deep in your bones you got a chill?

"Are you hungry?" Steve asked as he was walking towards the kitchen, "not really, maybe in a bit" I said as I followed him. "There's a few chests in the garage, I am going to fill some with snow and put them in the garage and place the fridge stuff in it so they stay cold but won't freeze on us".

I watched Steve go do his thing, he definitely was handy to have around when shit hit the fan, I will admit that. I am glad he's back in my life, even when I was small, he always made me feel safe just by being around.

Changed into some clothes, I was warmer and I'm sure Steve didn't want to see me in my night shirt that went just below my ass. But a nice pair of jeans and a sweater everything felt good.

After we moved everything from the fridge into the chests that were lined up in the garage, we sat back for a few. "You know what we need in here" Steve said standing up.

"What's that?" I asked watching him, he walked over to me and held out his hand, I looked at him and I placed my hand in his and he had me stand up, "we are going outside in this wonderful storm and getting a Christmas tree" he said and pulled me to where our coats were hung up.

"You're serious, aren't you?" I asked as he passed me my jacket, "I am, I don't see why we can't have a tree and then look for the decorations, I know your parents used to leave them here" he said as he put on his jacket also.

I stood there for a moment and thought about it, "you know your right, we do need a tree and decorations around here" I said as my boots and jacket and I just put my hat on.

Standing there Steve smiled and shook his head, "maybe Santa will bring you clothes that you won't freeze in" he said and chuckled. I stood there with my hands on my his but then laughed.