Chapter Eighteen

"Laura, dinners ready" Steve called out. I came out of the bedroom and he raised an eyebrow, "I thought you were still out in the garage, but then I forgot how sneaky you can be" he said as he dished out some stew into our bowls.

"Oh yum, stew" I said as I sat down, Steve always knew when I was trying to avoid answering any of his questions, a skill I developed when I was very young and I didn't want anyone to know what I was up to.

"So, tomorrows Christmas eve, anything you want to do special?" he asked. I sat there eating my stew, thinking on things, "not really, there isn't much to do with the power out" I said.

He stayed quiet and ate his stew, I knew that look on his face he was trying to come up with something but with no power and we were limited on basically everything.

"Well, we could always play card games like we used to by the fire when we were young?" he suggested. I thought about it and actually that was a good idea he came up with.

"I like that idea, sounds good to me. But just be a sore looser when I win" I said and stuck out my tongue. Steve laughed, "same old little mouse" he said and shook his head while he finished his bowl.

He went to the kitchen and I secretly smiled to myself he had no clue to the plans that I had in store for him. I could tell he was planning on something but I wasn't sure just yet.

I wondered if he actually could hold a secret, he never could when he was younger, every year for Christmas right before I opened my gifts, he would tell me what he got me.

I always smiled even when it would irk me, I still played nice, because well it was Steve, I didn't ever want him upset with me, even when I was young.

"I see your thinking on something my sweet little mouse, and for your information I will figure it out" he said and winked at me. I huffed; he knew my looks but I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of ruining the surprise.

I do know that I need to tune and practice a bit before I play the guitar for him. I wanted it to be perfect. And then the thought came to me, I knew what I could have him do to get him out of the house.

"I have no idea what you're talking about Steve, I was just thinking back on the kinds of games we used to play" I told him as I finished my stew.

"Sure, little mouse" he said while laughing. We did the dishes and put the left-over stew in a bowl and set it in the garage.

Once done we went and sat down on the couch, "what would you like to do tonight?" I asked Steve.

I could see the wheels turning, "well since it looks like the storm is finally going away, and it's just barley snowing out, would you like to go for a short walk outside?" he asked.

I got up and looked out the window, "actually I would like to do that" I said and went to get my coat and boots on.

Outside it was peaceful and beautiful, I stood there taking it all in, Steve was beside me, he put his arm around me and pulled me tightly into him, we stood there not saying anything but just enjoying each other's company.

Steve took my hand and we walked towards the old path that took us to the old tree fort, once there he didn't let go of my hand and he opened the door and led me inside.

Once in he shut the door most of the way, turning to me, he went over to a section and pulled a few things out of his jacket. He put down two candles and lite them.

It gave the old fort a beautiful glow. I stood there watching him, he pulled out a tiny radio looking device.

I looked at him with a questioning look, he just winked and turned it on, he tuned it to a station that was playing Christmas music. The soft music echoed slightly in the old fort, along with the glow of the candlelight bouncing off of the snow, made it look magical.

There was enough space inside for two adults or four kids. We always wanted to make sure there was enough space.

Steve took my hand and pulled me against his chest, "will you dance with me my sweet little mouse?" he asked close to my ear.

"Always" I whispered back, his hand wrapped around my waist and his other hand took mine, and we slowly danced to the music. It was the most romantic thing anyone has ever done for me.

Ive always wanted something like this done, but only in movies have I ever lived it.

A few songs later, the radio batteries were slowly dying out, but that didn't matter, I was lost in a world that seemed magical to me, here I was dancing with a man that was my prince charming since I was little.

I looked up into his eyes and saw him looking down into mine. I could see the emotions building up in them. I'm sure he could see mine as well, I was falling head over heels for him.

Steve bent down and kissed me softly at first, until I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled his head closer to me. We kissed as the passion started to build deeper between us.

We pulled apart before we could lose ourselves in the passion and fire that was building, I knew we both wanted each other but I know I wasn't quite ready for that part of us to happen just yet.

Steve blew out the candles, "let's go home baby" he whispered and I followed him to the cabin.