Chapter Seven

"Well, I should get going, if you need me or just want to hang out, call or text me if you want" Steve said as he stood up and took both our plates to the kitchen. I stood up and threw a few more logs onto the fire.

"I definitely will, your company has been really nice and I've enjoyed it" I told him, walking over to the window. It will be weird being on my own with his company.

"It's really coming down hard" he said standing next to me, I jumped a little, "your too damn stealthy" I said laughing. He looked down and smiled, "nope, you're just a little mouse" he said and winked.

We both stood there for a few moments looking out the window, "you know if it's to hazardous for you to drive, you can always stay, I do have the guest room and I bought new sheets and pillows for it" I said not taking my eyes off the snow.

It was coming down really hard, to where I could hardly see his truck. "Let me go outside and start the truck and check it out first" he said as he was getting his stuff on.

I went to do the dishes and clean the kitchen as he went outside, he would probably head home anyway, he wouldn't want to stay here, he might have a girlfriend and that wouldn't look good him staying here with me.

After a few minutes when the kitchen was almost done, I heard the front door open and close. "Well, I am going to have to take you up on your offer Laura, the truck won't make it to my place with how bad it is coming down, the truck is iced up also" he said as he took his stuff off and hung it up.

"Not a problem, let me get the room set up for you" I said and went to the spare room, and grabbed the new sheets and pillows. Steve walked in and helped me get the bed set up.

I made sure there were a few candles in his room and a flashlight, sometimes that damn generator quit for no reason except it was stubborn.

After wards I was making some hot chocolate and Steve joined me for a cup listening to the soft music playing and the fire crackling. "This is a really nice ending to the day, thank you Laura for this" he said as he stood up and took his cup to the sink.

"You heading to bed?" I asked still sitting there by the fire. "I'm tired so I think I should, if this storm is the one that was supposed to hit, I'm going to have to make sure your set up for it before I head back to my place" he said.

"Okay, well good night" I said as I turned back to the fire, my heart sank a bit, for some reason I didn't like the idea of being alone in a storm, even though back in the city I preferred it.

But out here I was getting used to Steve's company, and being by myself made me a bit nervous.

"Good night" he called from down the hallway and I heard his door shut. I took a breath and blew it out slowly. I finished my hot coco and washed out my mug. I made sure there were a few more of the bigger logs on the fire so it should go most of the night.

Making sure everything was locked up, and the music and lights were off, I went by the window in the family room and stood there watching the snow come down and noticed the wind started to pick up a lot more then it was earlier.

"I have a feeling mother nature is going to have fun with this storm" I whispered to myself. I turned around and headed to my room, shutting the door I changed into my night shirt and opened the door so the heat could come in.

I snuggled into my bed, I loved the feel of flannel sheets, and with them being new, with a few more pillows my bed was perfect. Sometime in the night the generator decided to quit.

Steve woke me up to let me know this and he was going to make sure there was enough wood to keep the fire going and to not open the fridge so the stuff kept cold for now.

I grumbled an okay and rolled over and fell back asleep, he snickered whispering I was just too damn cute. But knowing me, I probably just imagined him saying that.

I know I was way too hard on myself, but when you basically raised yourself and didn't have anyone praising you growing up even for something small, you sort of loose hope that you deserve anything good. 

"Laura, I think we might have a problem, well a small problem" Steve said while he gentle shook me awake.

I opened my eyes "what kind of problem and can it wait till morning?" I asked sleepily. I was having the best dream this time and it did involve Steve and I wanted to get back to it.

"The generator is busted and the storm is raging big time outside and a tree fell over in the driveway so no way for me to leave here" he said in one breath, I'm sure waiting for me to explode.

"Okay, so you'll stay here with me till we can figure it out" I said and then my eyes flew open, "unless of course you have a girlfriend and you got to get to her?" I asked starting to get up.

"Nope no girlfriend, I just wasn't sure you wanted me to stay here with you" he said quietly.

"Now why would you say something like that Steve?" I asked sitting down on the bed so I could put on my fuzzy socks. "I just, I don't know honestly" he said looking at me.

I stood up and walked over to him and poked his chest, "well listen up mister, you can stay here as long as you wish, I will never kick you out unless you become a jerk and boss me around then I just might kick your ass" I said.

Steve belted out the warmest laugh, "my dear, no way would I ever dream of bossing you around, your just too cute you know this" he said in all seriousness.

I stood there and smiled, "okay good, then its settled. You will stay here with me until either the storm passes or we can get that tree out of the way, but the way it looks like is your stuck here with me" I said walking out of the room.

I wasn't looking back to see the warm smile spread across his face as he whispered "I have always wanted to be by your side".