chapter 5

There wasn't exactly much time to sit around and wait to find out. I pulled on my jacket and walked quietly to the east grounds to meet Ginny. 

As written, she sat on a wooden bench, staring at the crisp leaves beneath her shoes. She looked up at me. I sat down in silence.

"Hi, Ginny."

"Hi. I need to talk to you. About us," she said, nervously fidgeting with the stem of a leaf.

"Violetta, I'm going to break up with Harry."

I sat there, astonished. What was going on? Ginny and Harry had been together for two years. What had happened? Questions soared through my brain. 

She took in my reaction and explained. "Vi, that kiss on the train made me realize how much I care for you. Even with the pumpkin juice, I -" 

I cut her off, wrapping my arms around her for a hug. I was overjoyed. 

"Ginny, I feel the same way. Earlier in the year, I started to look at you differently. In a good way, of course. It's just... what about Harry?"

Ginny looked uneasy. "I feel so badly, I really do. But he understands. He will still love me, and he will always have a place in my heart. He respects you, he knows this will not affect the friend group in a large way."

I felt a little bad for her. Ever since she and Harry started dating she had been softer, happier, more excited to do things. During her early teenage years, she went through a lot of dark stuff, involving PTSD from her run-in with Tom Riddle when she was 11.

That night at dinner, I was explaining to Malfoy how he could improve his attitude when Ron approached me. 

"Violetta, can I talk to you privately please?" he asked. I nodded and followed him to the back of the great hall.

"Listen, Harry is my best friend, alright? Ginny is my bloody sister. I respect you, and I am happy for you, but you better treat her right. Otherwise, this is going to be an issue."

I almost laughed. I found protective Ron quite funny. I assured him there was nothing to worry about. He smiled, and we separated to continue eating at our house tables.

"What was that all about?" asked Pansy.

"Nothing," I replied, smiling across the table at Ginny, who was chatting with a fourth-year girl.

"You've got the hots for Ginny, don't you," she said, rolling her eyes.

"Yeah," I said. "I think I do."