Chapter 17

(K so rereading this I realized I messed up and both Shiratorizawa and Karasuno can't go against Seijoh in the same tournament, HOWEVER, we shall pretend like they can 😄

"Hello." I say, entering the gym with Hana.

"Oh, you guys made it. How was the shoot?" Tendou asks.

Their regular practice has been long over, some of the guys have been practicing by themselves for the past few weeks. The spring high finals are upon us, and the boys are training for nationals. They're going against Karasuno High School, which is a school that nobody thought would make this far. I looked up some of their games, and the one that caught my eye the most was their recent win against Aoba Johsai. Apparently their setter, Kageyama Tobio is also a foe of Oikawa.

Oikawa was clearly very upset, and Iwaizumi looked like he felt it was all his fault. On the recording he could be heard saying something along the lines of 'How dare I call myself an ace if I can't even score a point off a set my setter worked so hard to give me?' and I have to admit...I cried. Karasuno is definitely interesting, and their little ball of sunshine is even more. Ushijima said he's not worried though, they just need to prepare for nationals.

"It was good. How's practice been?" Hana asks and we sit down.

"It's been alright. We're all just trying to hone our skills the best we can right now." He responds.

"He's telling a lie. Tendou has been singing almost the whole time, not being serious." Semi speaks up after he sets to Ushijima and we laugh.

"Like I said, honing our skills." Tendou sticks his nose up.

"Well, you guys are probably hungry, it's late now. We brought you guys something to eat." Hana holds up the bag and the boys come sit with us.

"The game is in a few days, how are you guys feeling?" I ask as they begin to eat.

"Hinata Shōyō might be a small problem. Though I'm sure we can get used to his speed. I'm not sure how his jumping is in real life, but everyone here is tall, so hopefully is won't be a problem." Semi shrugs, stuffing his mouth right after.

"Didn't you meet him? And their setter?" Reon nudges Ushijima.

"Yes. Hinata Shōyō thinks my name is Japan." Ushijima says and we all burst out laughing.

"What else did he say?"

"He said that if Aoba Johsai is infertile soil, then they must be concrete. A ball came out of the gym and I jumped to grab it but he reached it first. Then he said something along the lines of 'I'm Hinata Shōyō from the concrete. I'm going to beat you and go to nationals.' And his setter just looked weirdly proud." Ushijima finishes talking, taking a sip of his water.

Nobody says anything for a minute. We just stare at him, but he continues to eat. Unbothered.

"He jumped higher than you?" Semi asks, looking surprised.

"I didn't jump the highest that I can." Ushijima notes, but he sounds a little defensive.

"Who knew such a short guy can have such big balls?"

"I'm definitely going to enjoy crushing him then."

This new information seems to have encouraged the boys as they now talk about what they're most excited to do during the game. I really can't wait to watch this match.

~

"This sucks!" I exclaim, taking a seat on Ushijima's bottom bunk. There's a volleyball here too, how cute.

"This is also not ideal for me." Ushijima says, sitting by me.

"At least we're not in trouble." Hana peeks her head down from the top bunk, soon followed by Tendou.