May the best CBFL win

David x Reader X Gwen
~~~

Being known as the third counselor at Camp Campbell had its ups and downs. (Y/n) got to see such beautiful sunsets every day, but the waking up at the crack of dawn was a pain. (Y/n) had a break from her classes at the nearby college, but the pay isn't great.

But she wasn't complaining. (Y/n) had a roof over her head and a couple of new friends.

She smiled down at her mug of (favorite warm drink) that Gwen had prepared for. It was only her second week here and she knew that she loves it. Yeah, it had its ups and downs, but what place didn't?

Gwen sat next to (Y/n) holding her own mug. She sat close enough for the two to be touching and began to talk with her. Since she began to work here, Gwen had felt some sort of weird connection. Yeah, they were friends, but Gwen wanted to get to know (Y/n) more.

"So (Y/n), you busy tonight?" Gwen had finally asked her. She felt her face get warm just a bit, "I was thinking that after the kids go to bed, that we go into town? To get some drinks?"

(Y/n) smiled at her, before she would respond an arm slammed down between the two. She immediately noticed the pale skin and the muscle definition, knowing without looking up that it was David.

Gwen glared at her longtime co-worker. He better have a good reason why he was barging into their conversation like this.

"Why that sounds wonderful!" David exclaimed, keeping his eyes on (Y/n), "I'd say we ALL go! As a team bonding experience!"

Gwen pinched David's arm, which caused the redhead to immediately scream. He pulled his arm out, but he had created space between the two women. (Y/n) giggled at her co-worker's antics.

"Sounds fun! Let's leave around 9," she stood up with her mug. "I can't wait! We haven't hung out before as a group!"

(Y/n) turned around and walked over to the kitchen to wash her now empty mug. Unnoticed by the fact that two pairs of eyes watched her figure as she left.

~~~

Later into the night, Gwen and David were waiting inside the camp car for (Y/n). She couldn't find her wallet and no matter how much Gwen or David offered to buy her drinks, she refused.

Gwen sighed dramatically, growing more impatient. She then turned to David, glaring at the redhead. For once, David didn't have a smile across his face. Instead, he turned over to Gwen with a displeased look.

"Gwen, could you stop glaring at me?" He asked

"I would if you didn't interrupt and invited yourself to our hangout," she muttered

David sighed, "Be glad I decided to join. Knowing you, you'd probably have gotten yourself too drunk to drive (Y/n) home,"

Gwen felt a ping of jealousy hearing David talk about (Y/n). "I wasn't planning on to anyway, so you're just wasting your time. There's still time for you to leave back to the cabin,"

"If (Y/n)'s going, then so am I," David turned over.

He was sitting in the driver's seat while Gwen in the passengers. (Y/n) had offered the back, despite Gwen and David's suggestions.

Gwen turned her body fully to her friend. "Why do you care so much about (Y/n)?"

David kept his mouth closed, looking forward to avoiding eye contact. Gwen turned back around to her seat, both not daring to speak.

After a minute or two, David finally spoke,

"Gwen," he ran his hands through his hair, avoiding eye contact with her, "Do you LIKE (Y/n)?"

Her violet eyes widen at the question. She hadn't thought about it before. It would explain why she felt her hands get sweaty around her, or why she got so nervous to speak around her in private. Or why it seemed in just the right angle, (Y/n) looks like she's glowing in the sunlight.

"Do you?" Gwen asked back, not even looking at him. Her eyes gazed the night sky.

David let out a frustrated sigh. Of course, he liked her. (Y/n) was different than other girls he's dated. She cared about the camp as he did, she was genuine. Her personality shined through.

And admittedly, she was very cute in his eyes.

Gwen looked at David, expecting an answer, but receiving none. His now red face was an indicator that yes, he did like the new counselor.

Both sat in silence before Gwen spoke up, "May the best CBFL wins, David,"

David turned around shocked to see Gwen looking at him with a determined look, "Because I'm not backing down,"

Before David could say another word, the back door opened. They both turned to see (Y/n) enter. She wore her (F/c) flannel on top of her usual uniform, her regular jean shorts, and sneakers. In her right hand, she held an (F/c) wallet.

"Sorry I took so long guys!" She let out a heartfelt laugh, "Max had tried to steal my money again,"

"That little shit!" Gwen shouted, "Do you want me to-"

"No, no, no!" (Y/n) shook her head, "It's fine I promise!"

"No, it's not," David stated as he started the engine, "I'll take to him when we get back, (Y/n). I promise,"

(Y/n) shrugged. She kept her eyes on the window, "I just didn't want to cause any problems,"

The two looked at the mirror to see how the night sky hit her face. She looked relaxed with a hint of excitement, completely unaware of the two who stared at her loving throughout the drive to town.

~~~

I had originally planned on releasing this chapter tomorrow when I finished it. I'm not sure if you guys saw my post but today I'm lost my dog. Him and writing are the only two things keeping me sane.

I do think everything happens for a reason and I know all his suffering will end.

I now terish all the moments I had with him. I do believe it's a sign from the universe as I got him when I was going through a bad break up at the time.

Now I hope he's going to rest peacefully.