Chapter 43

Going back to Hogwarts was never going to be the same. It felt pointless really, sacking the year off at first seemed like a good option till you remembered you'd be imprisoned at what once was called a home. We'd managed to spend the entire summer out of their way, but going back to Hogwarts felt like a great escape. I worried a lot. Maybe people knew what I did last year? But I pushed that to the back of my mind because Blair's fear was rapidly rising. Her eyes like owls, skin so pale and the sweat was forming on her forehead. She covered her arms with multiple layers keeping it as hidden as possible but it was only September, her flustered face showed how uncomfortable she was. Our hands locked together as I led us to the Slytherin carriage, it was obvious her friends were concerned. Nevilles eyes locking on mine before falling to the ground. They were disappointed. She didn't let her eyes linger to their direction, she held great shame and it was getting harder for her to carry. As soon as we sat down Pansy's face turned sour, her eyes darting straight to Blair's, you could almost feel the anger that radiated from her body, her knuckles going white as she clenched her hands together into tight fists, I rolled my eyes in response. Thankfully Blair was completely oblivious, her thoughts stuck on the opinions of her friends, she knew exactly what they thought and I could see it tearing her apart, I squeezed her hand slightly for reassurance.

"Gryffindor carriage is back that way." Pansy snapped, I shot her a deathly glare as Blair sunk further in her seat.
"You can always sit somewhere else." I shot, my eyes finding plenty of empty seats. The train was almost vacant, no one wanting to return to Hogwarts. I didn't blame them.
"So you're back together?" She seethed, her eyes never met mine they were latched onto Blair.
"What's it to you?" I squinted my eyes at her in pure annoyance. Of all people of course it would be Pansy creating a drama.
"I just think it's a bit of a joke really." My body shot up, pulling Blair with me. Dragging her further down the carriage, escaping Pansy toxicity.

"She's never going to like me." Blair groaned, looking straight out at the moving hills that were clouded by thick fog.
"It doesn't matter if she likes you or not, it's Pansy she doesn't like anyone." Blair huffed at my comment. Not everyone needed to like her, everyone should like her but Blair needed to understand that Pansy was just jealous. Blair had everything Pansy wanted. Merlins beard they even looked similar, Blair just the beautiful version and that's why Pansy didn't like her. I wish she wouldn't take it so seriously, I wish she didn't care.
"No ones here." She broke the short silence. I looked back at the empty carriage, it was unusual that even Slytherin lacked in numbers, we were always fearless. "Do you think it's safe?" Her worried eyes finally fell onto mine.
"You know we're safe." The tight smile on my lips signified the guilt I felt, Hogwarts would become a war zone, thankfully Harry and his gang weren't here yet, so that would give us plenty of time. A part of me had hope for Harry, I wanted him to stay alive and I wanted him to win. I couldn't wrap my head around how much my morals and values had changed. I was a completely different person.

When we arrived it wasn't the same. As the years rolled out it always got darker but with out Dumbledore, Hogwarts had lost it's magic. The halls didn't boom with laughter, the lights didn't glimmer on happy faces, everyone was in misery. I gulped down the guilt and shame, Blair holding tightly onto my hand for reassurance. Snape was our new headmaster, it wasn't a role he would want to take and it wasn't the job he suited. It was visible that he struggled to stand where Dumbledore once was. It helped the death eaters though, an easier access to the school now one of them was headmaster. I picked at my food, the dampened atmosphere was beginning to swallow me whole. It was hard to chose what was worse, being here or there.

"Do you think I should speak to Neville and that?" Blair finally spoke up, staring at the Gryffindor table where she'd have normally sat. My eyes caught onto their wary ones, I furrowed my brows, it would be easier if she didn't draw so much attention.
"It's up to you, I guess it has to happen eventually." I shrugged.
"I just don't want them to know anything, I feel like I've betrayed them." She went onto explain and I couldn't help but feel annoyed, a huff escaping my lips.
"Why don't you just sit over there then?" I hissed. Pansy's snake like eyes snapped in our direction, a malicious grin on her face. I quickly changed my attitude, not wanting to give her the satisfaction. I gave Blair and apologetic smile, lifting the small bit of hair that covered her face, tucking it behind her ear. "I didn't mean that." I placed a small kiss on her cheek. "Come on let's go to our room."

Snape being headmaster had its perks, me and Blair got a room all to ourself. I wouldn't have her sleeping alone, not a chance. She'd been absolutely riddled with nightmares recently and she needed me by her side.

"Draco." A voice called. A voice I didn't want to hear. "I need to have a word with you." She whipped around us, stopping us in our tracks.
"Not now Pansy." I rolled my eyes, barging her out the way. She gripped onto my wrist so I shoved her out of the way, my face lighting up red with fury.
"You will speak to me Draco!" She demanded. Was I really going to have an argument with Pansy in front of everyone, did me and Blair need that extra attention? I glanced over at her to see she was already nervous.
"I'll meet you in the room Blair, I won't be a minute." My tone was completely different with her than it was with Pansy, softer. She slightly nodded her head before hesitantly walking away.
"She has her own room." Pansy shot.
"Stop putting your nose in where it doesn't concern you!" I snapped. "So what do you want?"
"I want an explanation." She said blandly like it was obvious.
"To what?" My brows knitted together in confusion, my lips twisted.
"To you two being back together. What is this the new normal? I'm gonna have to put up with you rubbing it in my face? You can fuck off Draco." She said bitterly but I could hear the hurt she was trying to hide with anger.
"I've done fuck all wrong, stay out my way and it won't be an issue." Blair was top priority and that was final.
"What so I don't matter anymore? Our friendship is gonna be thrown away just like that?" She hissed, in complete shock.
"You're the one with the choice. Either grow up and deal with it or fuck off. This isn't my issue." I spat, the truth hurt.
"You're wanting me to be best mates with her?" She laughed coldly. "Not a chance. I don't chose that." She shook her head. A friendship wasn't what I was asking for. Drama free experience at Hogwarts? Yes, but clearly that was too much to ask. The truth was I cared for Pansy, she showed me loyalty when I needed her. She stuck by my side when there was no one else there. She had been a true friend and that's why I just wanted her to do this one thing for me. Why couldn't she just get over with it.
"I've got nothing left to say." I began to walk away, she continued to stand there frozen.
"I hate you Draco!" She screamed.