Welcome

"I want you to stop him."

You sat up in bed sweating. It had been three days since you last saw Ghirahim. His earlier proposal stuck to your mind like a leech. The strength of your will was draining bit by bit, night by night.

Each morning had been the same. You woke up being plagued with the same nightmare over and over, no matter the length of your sleep. The always dreams took place in locations you had never seen before. There were vast plains of sand and dense forest but in the end you were always dead.

'Does this mean anything?' You asked yourself, huddled in between your sheets. 'Am I going to die in some unknown place?'

You reflected for a moment, deciding to dismiss the unease you had. Dreams were dreams after all. Meer creations of the anxious mind. Perhaps you were being stressed by the weight of your next decision.

Would you fulfill a Demon Lord's request? One full of malice?

Maybe you could ignore all the Ghirahim had told you and go back to being a side character with the same boring lines. But now with a taste of a larger narrative, you were more inclined to follow along with Ghirahim's schemes.

But wouldn't that still make you a side character? Taking orders, not giving them.

You had enough of that.

"Staying in this room wont do me any good." You threw your blanket off and stood up. But the sudden change in orientation right after waking immediately made you dizzy. You supported yourself on the bed frame and held your head in discomfort until the vertigo passed. "I've got to get off this rock..." You pulled yourself up again.

'I don't want to hunt Link or kill Zelda.' You told yourself with a hand on the doorknob. 'I'll put an end to Ghirahim's schemes from right under his nose.' With this internal declaration, you threw the door to your dorm open and ran out of the Academy.

Down the Academy stairs and past the windmill you sprinted, the rising sun lighting your path to the Plaza. You stopped at the attached dock to catch your breath, the breeze ruffling your hair.

Then you jumped.

With a mighty whistle, you called your loftwing. It came around with little delay and picked you up.

"Let's investigate the break in the cloud barrier." You instructed with a boost.

As you came closer to the light pillar you began the descent. Your intention was only to investigate, so you became a little disgruntled when it was hard to discern anything circling twenty-five yards above. Being as it was, you decided to move further down.

It was not until you were hovering directly over the white barrier that you could see down below. Your loftwing's talons now dipping slightly into the clouds.

'Forest?' You circled the hole. This was your first look at the surface, your only description had been in scripture. 'I-'

Suddenly a strong gust of wind pressure, similar to the one you felt the day of the wing ceremony, almost sent you flying off your mount.

"Woah there-" You struggled to calm your bird down as it grew increasingly anxious. "Okay yeah- It's time to head back up." You attempted to readjust your grip and...

Fell?

Yes, you were falling. Your back was to the surface and you could see the clouds above moving further away. Your bird quickly made an attempt to grab you with its talons but only ended up ripping your shirt.

"?!" You looked below in disbelief. Your loftwing was too late in pursuing and with only the trees to break your fall you began to panic. 'I'm so dead! What am I even supposed to do in this situation?!'

You turned over and with the time you had you were able to orient your trajectory to what looked to be the densest canopy near a shoal. Hopefully it would cushion your fall enough not to end your life. Even if your shirt was now ruined, you thanked your loftwing for providing the smallest break during the fall. The jerk forward had reduced your total fall distance and reset the rate of acceleration.

As the canopy grew closer and closer, you attempted to brace yourself in what ever way was possible.

All that was left now was to not die.

'I don't think I-'

The impact came sooner than expected.

You broke through branches and tumbled down, eventually rolling halfway into a river. The immense damage taken by your body immediately manifested itself in an unbearable amount of pain. Along with multiple contusions, your left arm and ribs were broken and you couldn't move your legs. Your vision was also blurry, a sign you must have hit the back of your head at some point.

'I can't move...'

But you were still alive.

'But there's not much point to that if I can't get out of here!'

"S...So this is the surface..." You said weakly against the mud of the river bank. "What a warm welcome-" You then interrupted yourself to cough up blood but continued to drag your body up the bank with damaged arms.

"How am I supposed to get out of here anyway." Your head started ringing and you felt something run down the side of your face. 'Blood?'

There was definitely a severe head injury.

But all of a sudden, there was a call you had never heard before. It sounded like some creature was voicing an alarm. You struggled to look in the direction of the sound.

Though unclear, you could now make out two red figures approaching.

'I don't have anything to defend myself with!' You gritted your teeth and grabbed at the mud in a pitiful attempt to get away. 'But even if I did have something it's not like I'd be able to do anything.'

Goblins? Orcs? What ever creatures they were, they now stood above you.

'I can't...'

The creature in front then raised its club over you and prepared to deal the finishing blow.

'Do anything...'

Everything went black.