10| Nostalgic

Chapter 10: Nostalgic (Blake's POV)

We've been sitting in silence now for a while. And I mean a while. 

"I'm hungry," she said out of nowhere, rocking her feet back and forth. 

"You just ate before we got here." I looked at her in confusion. 

"You didn't let me finish," she argued. I rolled my eyes in response, looking out at the sunlight sparkling on top of the lake in front of us. After a little more silence, she asked, "You brought me here for a reason. Right, Blake?" I felt her eyes on my face. 

"I'm trying to think of how to say it." 

"Just spit it out. It doesn't get any easier than that," she shrugged, looking back to the water. 

"Did you ever like me?" I asked bluntly. I realized that the only way we were getting through this conversation was by just spitting everything out. Otherwise, it would just get awkward. 

"What?" she chuckled. 

"It's a genuine question. Did you?" 

She looked out, falling into thought. "Maybe," she shrugged. "Did you?" 

"Your answer doesn't count so I'm not answering. It's a yes or no question." 

She huffed, running a hand through her hair before slowly nodding. "Yes, I did. That's why I did what I did during my last night here." 

I haven't mentioned this. But her last night here, after I dropped her back home from the arcade, we were standing at her porch and talking about something. I don't remember what it was but she kissed me. She stole a kiss. She kissed me, then ran inside without a word and then she proceeded to shut the door in my face. But I had no complaints. It was also why I was really excited to see her the next day and maybe ask her out but then as we already know, when I got there, she was gone. 

"Did you?" she asked, pulling me out of my thoughts. 

"Kinda, yeah," I shrugged nonchalantly. 

She eyed me suspiciously for a minute before laughing. "Liar." She nudged my shoulder with hers. "I know you don't anymore but that doesn't mean you can't admit you once did." She shot me a pointed look. 

"Yeah," I nodded sheepishly. "Yeah, I did." 

"I know," she replied. 

"I was gonna ask you out," I turned to her. 

"What?" she chuckled, seeming surprised. 

"Yeah. But then you had to leave, fucking bitch." 

She gaped at me, shoving me hard enough for my side to hit the wall. "I dare you to call me that again." 

"You were a bitch," I laughed. 

"Blake!" She smacked me across my cheek. 

"I will push you out of this treehouse, do that one more time," I said warningly, grabbing her wrists. 

"Ow! Let go!" she shrieked. 

I rolled my eyes, letting go of her wrists. We fell into a strangely comfortable silence and it made the moment feel all the more nostalgic. It was so nostalgic because this is exactly what we would do here. We'd either come here to talk shit about people, or we'd come here to talk shit about school, we've come here plenty of times when she had to cry after losing her mom, and when I've cried about not having a dad. But a fair share of those times was us just coming here cause we had nothing better to do, and just sitting here in utter silence, watching the lake. Like this.