12| Flash

Chapter 12: Flash (Blake's POV)

We were almost at the door when we heard something to our left, near the corner of the room. That's also where the staircase leading upstairs was. We've been coming here since we were kids but I've never been ballsy enough to go upstairs and check it out. 

"Blake," she whispered, tugging me to the door. 

I don't know what was going through my head, but I wasn't moving. I was looking towards the stairs, pretty much waiting for someone to jump out at us. 

"Blake." She tugged a little harder. 

When I saw a guy heading to the staircase, both of us shit ourselves. There was a guy, from the looks of it he was squatting in here, so he's likely to be homeless. He looked terrifying. "Hey!" he yelled, running toward us. 

"Blake, are you waiting for fucking Christmas?! Run!" she screamed, pulling the door open and pulling me forward as she ran. At that moment, we- and I can say this from both of our sides, we saw our lives flash before our eyes. Literally, flash by. It was horrifying. 

We both ran full speed, going as fast as our legs could carry us, not stopping until we entered our neighborhood. She let go of my hand and halted on the sidewalk, bending down and holding onto her knees to steady herself while she panted like she was having an asthma attack. It's not just her, I probably look like that too. 

"Are you stupid?!" She shoved me upon catching her breath. "Oh, my god. That was so scary. We could have died!" she yelled, running her hand through her hair. 

"I don't think he actually could have killed both of us but-" 

"Blake!" She pushed me again. I stumbled back, my hand on my chest while I let out a breath. She shook her head at me and then turned around, starting to walk home. 

"Okay, come on. It wasn't that bad," I said, jogging to catch up to her. 

"Wasn't that bad? Are you kidding me? Did we just experience the same thing? Blake, that was the scariest moment of my life. What the hell happened to you? This scary guy was literally charging at us and you were just rooted to one spot!" she exclaimed. 

"I don't know, I think I zoned out or something," I mumbled. 

"Zoned out?" She barked out a sarcastic laugh. "You were going to get us killed." 

"Geez, sorry." She rolled her eyes at me and we continued walking in silence. About two minutes later, she started laughing softly to herself. 

"What?" I asked, not really sure if I wanted to know. 

"That was so scary, but it was funny though," she shrugged, looking down at the pavement as we walked. 

"You're insane, Hope," I chuckled, putting my hands in the pockets of my jacket, looking up while shaking my head, smiling helplessly. 

"Shut up," she laughed, nudging my elbow with hers. 

"That was horrifying," I laughed. "I saw my life flash before my eyes." 

"Me too," she laughed along with me. "What if we go there again and he's still there?" she asked. 

"I don't know, maybe we'll take some food for him so he lets us come around," I shrugged. 

She smacked my arm, "That's not funny." 

"I'm not kidding. Seriously, we should give the guy some food or something. I feel bad," I replied. 

"Do you wanna go back tonight? I'll bring dinner for the guy," she said. 

"Are you serious?"