Chapter Seven

"The schedule says we had to leave an hour ago, where is he?" Armitage complained angrily.

You all were supposed to already be onboard and on your way to the Hosnian system, but you were still here at the First Order base. Kylo had been a no show.

"I don't know but you yelling like that isn't going to help," you muttered annoyed.

He rolled his eyes in response and pulled two passing by officers to go find out where Kylo was. They rushed off immediately at his orders and you were forced to stay there with Armitage.

You waited in silence.

The type of silence that is so cumbersome and unbearable, you just want to escape as soon as possible. You easily could've gotten into it with him right then and there but you both knew it would become explosive once you started. Thankfully, you both managed to remain calm until Ren showed up.

You ran your gloved thumb and fingers between each other nervously. It was an anxious tick that you had and you were struggling to keep your nerves at bay. You couldn't fail your first mission, this was your one way of showing Snoke how good you were and that you deserve this spot! You're not going to let Kylo ruin this.

'God, the nerve of this man to make us wait!'

His authority was never questioned since he was Snoke's prodigy and Master of the Knights of Ren and all that bullshit — but it was not an excuse.

He was not intimidating to you in the slightest. You grew up getting abused in the First Order with a father who beat your brother and cheated on your mother.

A tough childhood but one you tried to think about less and less. You were no fool though, you knew it would have disgusted your father, him knowing how you made your way up the ranks. His son actually working the hard way was what should have been celebrated but it was not. You blamed yourself somewhat for that too.

"Let's go," Ren said mechanically as he finally approached you at the launch bay.

You glanced at his well, rather rough appearance. His left glove was barely on and his leather pants weren't tucked into his boots. You could see beads of sweat across his clammy half gloved hand, an indication that he was doing something intense before he came here. He caught your stares and turned away. Out of breath and annoyed, he rammed his hand into the glove and curled his fingers into it, fastening it in place. He looked a mess to be quite honest.

You and Armitage followed him to his command shuttle, Ren's personal ship.

It was tight quarters but nothing you couldn't handle. Our engineers had just fixed it from the last time Ren had battled and caused damage, something that happened quite frequently.

Armitage immediately went to sit in the copilot seat.

"Um excuse me but I'm sitting there," you told him, knocking him out of the way to sit down instead. He shoved your arm and tried to force you up. "No, you go in the passenger compartment where you belong!" he yelled.

His weak upper arm strength was no match to yours as he attempted to get you up out of the seat. But there was also no way he'd let you win.

"Ren get up then, I'll fly," Armitage said after trying to pull you out of the seat with no success.

"What did you just say?" Kylo muttered in response. He didn't even bother to face Armitage, dumbfounded that he would even ask such a thing. You were shocked yourself.

"You heard me, I'll fly," he repeated once more. Armitage couldn't fly, the only time he had tried when you were young, he did awful. Was he really that desperate?

Kylo spun around in his pilot seat and ripped his helmet off.

"Let me make this clear," Kylo said, slowly rising from his seat. "I don't care what you two's problem is. Work it out or shut the fuck up," he finished, fully in Armitage's face now as his anger rose.

His voice reverberated off the sides of the ship, the volume increasing the more irritated he got. You were just happy someone put your brother in his place.

"Great. So go to the passenger compartment then," you told Armitage with a sickly sweet smile. He gave you a death glare but you were used to them from him at this point.

"You bitch, you cannot-" he started to spit angrily at you.

"Go, now," Kylo told him sternly, interrupting Armitage and not letting him get another word in. He furiously went to the passenger compartment, away from all the excitement that happened in the cockpit. You were glad that for once you had won against him, and better yet that Kylo backed you up.

You didn't even have a real reason for wanting to fight him so hard for this seat, except for this being your first big mission with the top leaders.

With Ren.

Despite your hesitations, this was still a great deal of importance to your career and you wanted to be up where the action was.

Plus you'd never seen Kylo fly before. You just had to know if he was as good as everyone says he is. He had gotten this reputation for some reason right?

Kylo started the engine and before you knew it, you were traveling at light speed. Courtsilius was the planet you were headed for in the system. Only there did the woman Li'an Qudota lie, the one possible source of information on Luke's whereabouts. Lord knows that's the only reason you would come to this system as it was filled with New Republic and Resistance supporters.

But you would be as discreet as possible to not cause attention to yourselves. You were only here for one thing. Or one person really.

"So what do you know about Li'an?" you asked Kylo, attempting to make conversation later in the trip. He gave you a sideways glance as he tried to stay focused on navigating.

"That she needs to be destroyed," he answered simply.

"Well sure but isn't there something more you know? Like how she could possibly know where Luke is?" you pressed for more information.

"No," Kylo responded. His hands tightened around the steering controls and he breathed rhythmically as he prepared to enter the system.

So much for trying to talk to him. You wrapped your arms around yourself comfortingly and tried to just take in the surroundings as you approached Courtsilius.

You watched the way his hands glided across the controls, as if it was what they were made for. You couldn't stop staring at how effortlessly he flipped every switch, stretched his index fingers across the small buttons, steered with no hesitation. Your eyes were just glued to him and not the planet you were landing on. You touched down with ease as you came in contact with the planet, thanks to Kylo. It was a short way from your base if you consider how big the galaxy was.

"You're a really good pilot," you commented briefly to Kylo. You knew he had already noticed your stares with observant he was.

"Uh, thank you," he stuttered before clearing his throat to hide the trip up on his words.

You looked down and smiled as you prepared to exit the ship. You grabbed the few things you brought, including your weapon, and Kylo put his mask back on.

"Glad you and the slut get along so well," Armitage laughed to Kylo as he brushed past you and walked ahead to be the first out of the ship.

Couldn't he just give it a rest?

How embarrassing and humiliating for him to say that in front of a man who's respect you desperately needed!

Desperately wanted.

Biting back angry tears, you followed the two of them and tried to hold your head up high as you began the mission.