Chapter 15

'Kim Taeyeon and Byun Baekhyun, Spotted Together Near Han River'

News of the meeting between Kim Taeyeon and Byun Baekhyun, near the Han River in the late hours of December 9, 2020, made headlines.

Upon seeing the headline and the leading statement of the news article about her, Kim Taeyeon was tempted to toss her phone away in frustration. She would have, had her manager not quickly come to her aid, gripping her shoulders from behind to steady her.

"Now tell me the truth," her manager demanded, applying subtle pressure. Though he appeared stern, everyone knew he was only acting in her best interest.

Sighing, Taeyeon knew she had no choice but to disclose the truth to her manager. After all, it was just him, and she needed to tell the truth.

The manager closed his eyes momentarily, his fingers clenching into tight fists as he struggled to control his temper. He didn't want to explode or shout, especially when he knew Taeyeon was the one grappling the most with this situation.

"Are the two of you seeing each other?" His question was direct, leaving no room for ambiguity.

"What? No! Oppa, you know about Dean. I could never do something like that to him," Taeyeon quickly denied, her words sincere as they conversed in private.

"I want to understand what's happening. Explain what occurred that night two days ago, in detail." The manager's tone was commanding, his words carrying the weight of an order.

Taeyeon had no choice but to comply, relaying each detail from the start—the minor assistance, the incident with the inappropriate staff member, and her decision to confront Baekhyun and request that he cease his interventions.

"This is... unbelievable. I need to speak with his manager, and we'll have to report to the higher-ups. They'll likely summon us soon," the manager sighed heavily, his shoulders slumping in resignation.

"Everything will turn out fine, won't it, oppa?" Taeyeon's voice quivered with concern. She was filled with apprehension as the past seemed poised to resurface.

"I can't be certain, but I'll do my utmost to manage the situation. Your image is my primary concern." Her manager's dedication was evident; he was doing everything in his power to maintain Taeyeon's comfort, given her sensitive disposition that could easily affect her mental state.

In spite of everything, Taeyeon managed to conjure a weak, pale smile. It was a small gesture, but it provided the encouragement she desperately needed. The situation at hand wasn't a fleeting issue; in her world, any wrong move could trigger a chain reaction, and she desperately wished to avoid that outcome.

The two of them began walking together, their steps synchronized, as they made their way towards their respective company. A sense of relief washed over them when they realized that there were no paparazzi lurking outside, eagerly waiting to pounce on any hint of their private lives. They understood the game all too well—how invading the lives of famous individuals could become a hot commodity for the media.

It was also fortunate that the time was only 2 am. They both knew that journalists wouldn't commit to waiting from midnight until morning in the frigid winter cold, beneath the starry sky, for a statement that they were almost certain Taeyeon wouldn't give.

As they drew nearer to their destination, Taeyeon's anxiety heightened, although her manager attempted to offer her encouragement to mask his own concern. He realized his limitations—working within the confines of the powers that be—and he felt a pang of sympathy for her.

Making it safely inside the building was their mutual hope. Much like the scene outside Taeyeon's apartment, there were no paparazzi stationed around the company building.