Chapter 23

Christmas Eve

Today was the day Y/N was supposed to be taken. Seems like they had a change of plans. They assumed it was Shigaraki was being impatient again. Why did things turn out this way? Why were the villains so persistent? What were they trying to get out of this? Was there something they were trying prove?

Y/N didn't know the answers to any of those questions. They may never find out.

They weren't even sure if how long they had left. Their quirk had failed them once before. Weren't they supposed to die on the day it happened? They were, but their fate was changed. That wasn't supposed to happen. It wasn't supposed to be like this. Y/N sighed, no longer wanting to think about what their fate was and wasn't.

'I wonder what the class is doing...' They thought as they pulled on the chains that the villains put on them. 'I hope they can forgive me...' Y/N dryly chuckled.

'What's the whole point of this agai--... oh. yeah.'

- - - - - - - - - -

Back at the dorms, they were preparing themselves for their 'mission'. It was about 10:45 [22:45]. It took almost the whole day to get ready for what could be their last meeting with Y/N. But, they won't let it be their last time. It won't be their last time.

"Aizawa..." Mirio gave EraserHead a determined nod.

"Let's go..."

Midoryia quickly followed as they walked out of the building. For the last time, he checked his phone before having to step into the vehicle they had to take.

Y/N's sender was still typing....

Midoriya assumed that was because they were still alive. He's afraid of what it'll mean if they stop typing.

Wait for us, Y/N. We're coming.

- - - - - - - - - - -

"It's their turn to come now." Shigaraki laughed. "Don't you think this is neat, L/N..?"

His smile made Y/N feel uneasy but they didn't show it. Instead, they glanced at him with an indifferent expression and nodded. The League of Villains dragged the traitor outside and waited for the arrival of the heroes on a flat, grassy area.

"C'mon, Y/N!" Toga jumped next to the traitor. "Start counting when they come closer, alright?"

"... Of course, Toga..." Y/N smiled at the blonde.

They waited for a few minutes and began to get bored. Toga was whining about them taking too long while Dabi and Shigaraki became annoyed.

"Hey. Y/--" Dabi was cut off.

"Ten..."

Toga squealed in excitement.

"Nine..."

The villains stood up and prepared themselves.

"Eight..."

Mr. Compress used his quirk on a few of the items they brought.

"Seven..."

Kurogiri stood behind the ex-U.A. student, to ensure that they won't be escaping so easily.

"Six..."

Y/N closed their eyes.

"Five..."

'Everyone... Thank you...' They thought to herself.

"Four..."

Dabi smiled when he heard a twig snap.

"Three..."

Y/N's body trembled slightly.

"T-Two..!"

'It's finally almost over...'

"...one..."

Out of nowhere, a large berg of ice shot out towards where they were standing. In turn, Dabi sent his flames to the ice.

"Welcome, heroes." Shigaraki scratched his neck. "It took you longer than expected. It's 11:15 [23:15]."

Dabi looked at the students and noticed that a certain teacher wasn't there. He didn't say anything it directly but made sure to have Y/N let them know when he does make an entrance.

"It's almost time for Y/N's birthday." Dabi smirked at them. "Why don't we give them a show?" He turned his head to look at the individual in front of Kurogiri. "Count down for the grand finale."

They nodded, signaling him to go on with this plan of theirs. He sent flames towards the students, but fortunately they were able to move out of the way.

Y/N kept their eyes closed and slowly brought their hands up to their ears to tune out what happened around them. They felt a hand lay on top of their head. It was Kurogiri.

"I'm sorry..." His muffled voice was still clear enough for the individual to hear. "But everything will be fine when it's over. You know that."

They nodded but stayed in their position for a while. Time passes and it wasn't long before Y/N's birthday. Or Christmas day. 23:53 [11:53].

Times ticking but that damned teacher still hasn't shown up.

"Y/--?"

"Five..."

Dabi was cut off again with Y/N counting down.

"Four..."

Their voice was shaky, and they lowered their arms.

"Three..."

Their eyes opened for the first time in a while that night.

"Two..."

Kurogiri sat himself next to the individual.

"ONE!" They yelled, tears coming down their face.

"Ah~ Christmas Eve. The day before Christmas." Shigaraki smiled sinisterly. "This is a really fun, early present." He finished as he dodged Aizawa's attack.

The villains back up but continued to fight almost immediately.

Both Kurogiri and Y/N tuned out the fight. The younger of the two kept their head down and played with their fingers. They noticed Kurogiri check the time.

Tick tock. Times running out.

"Y/N." Kurogiri called softly. The individual turned their head slightly. "Happy Birthday."

12:00 AM
[0:00]