─ FIFTY-EIGHT. REAL-LIFE

58. OLD HABITS DIE HARD

 OLD HABITS DIE HARD

¤¤¤¤¤

"Hey, Shawn, I've gotta go" I reached over to end the call.

"Aw already?" I could hear Shawn pouting.

I laughed, "Yes already. Phoenix really needs us right now and I'm like the only one in town. I'll call you later, alright?"

"Okay," Shawn said dejectedly.

"Hey, you know I love you?" I smiled.

"I love you too, Nova. You have no idea" Shawn replied.

"Oh, I think I do" I turned off my engine.

"Maybe, but you mean the world to me," Shawn said.

"And I'm not even your girlfriend" I joked.

"Yet," Shawn added.

"Right, my bad babe. Yet" I chuckled.

"Alright go comfort Nix. I'll facetime you later" Shawn blew me a kiss over the phone. I blew one back and ended the call, getting out of my car.

Phoenix had recently broken up with her boyfriend, Tom Holland. I'm not exactly sure what happened but she hid it from us until the two went at it over social media and now there are a billion tabloids about her and Tom. So, me being the only other friend in the group in LA at the moment, decided to go visit her on my day off.

"Nixie?" I knocked on the door of her apartment.

The door opened slightly and I pushed it fully open. I immediately covered my nose at the smell. I closed the door behind me as Phoenix sat back down on the couch. I looked at the tv and saw Criminal Minds playing.

"Phoenix" I set my belongings down on the corner of the table.

"Why are you here" She avoided eye contact. I narrowed my eyes at her bloodshot eyes. Eyes those red couldn't be just from crying. Her eyes weren't even puffy. They were just red.

I cleaned up the bags of chips and cartons of ice cream laid out on the living room table.

"Because I care about you" I replied, finally answering her question after five minutes.

"Well don't" Phoenix scoffed, "I'm throwing my life away I guess"

"Why would you say that?" I sat next to her.