03

03; abra cadabra

"Alastor Moody." He writes his name on the blackboard with chalk, the old-fashioned way. "Ministry malcontent. And your new defence
against the dark arts teacher. I'm here
because Dumbledore asked me, end of the story, goodbye, the end. Any questions? When it comes to the dark arts, I believe in a practical approach. But first, which of you can tell me how many unforgivable curses there are?" Hermione raises her hand quickly.

"Three, sir."

"And they are named so?" The professor asks, his mechanical eye swivelling unnaturally in his skull. His gaze lands on Harry Potter for a moment before moving on to Chastity. She stares right back, emerald green gaze unwavering.

She sends out a small pulse of Asgardian magic, basically scanning the professor; she finds it puzzling. His magical core does not match his body. It's far darker than what "Mad-Eye Moody" is supposed to be.

"Because they are unforgivable. The use of one-"

"Get's you a one-way ticket to Azkaban, that's correct, Ms. Granger. Now the Minister says you're too young to see what these curses can do; I say different! You have to know what you're up against! You need to be prepared- you need to find another place to put your chewing gum beside the underside of your desk Mr. Finnegan!" His gaze once again sweeps the gathering of students.

Seamus mutters something to the student beside him, which elicits mad-eye to throw an eraser clear across the room at him.

"And hear across classrooms!" He shouts. Chastity has to hold back a laugh at that.

"So what curse should we see first? Wesley!" Ron looks up, red in the face.

"Yes..."

"Give us a curse!"

"Well, my dad did tell me about one... The imperius curse."

"Ahhh yes, your father would know all about that. Gave the ministry quite
a bit of grief a few years ago. Perhaps
this will show you why." The practically senile, old man grumbles something inaudible and grabs a sizeable spider-like insect from a jar on his desk. "Hello! What a little beauty." He flicks his wand a little "Engorgio." The insect grows considerably. Now it looks like it came from Australia. "Imperio!" It wriggles around as the professor whips it around the room.

The students, sans Hermione and Chastity, giggle and laugh watching it.

"Don't worry! Completely harmless! But if she bites, she's lethal!" He laughs maniacally and forces it upon Draco Malfoy's face as he shrieks, clearly scared, which he will later deny. The young, impressionable students quiet when he starts talking again.

"What should I make her do next? Jump out the window?" All noise stops. "Drown herself?"

He allows the insect to hover in the air for a moment

"Scores of witches and wizards have claimed that they only to do you-know-whose bidding under the influence of the imperious curse. But here's the rub, how do we sort out the liars? Another.. another.. Come on, come on. Longbottom, is it? Up."

Neville stands nervously. "Professor Sprout tells me you have an
aptitude for herbology." He nods.

"There's the um... The cruciatus curse." Mad-Eye grins.

"Correct! Correct! Come, come. Particularly nasty, the torture curse." He begins to torture the defences insect.

Neville squirms, very uncomfortable.

Hermione stands up, furiously, "Stop it! Can't you see it's bothering him, stop it!"

Moody stops, seeing Neville is disturbed. He picks up the spider, which is still squirming and squealing in pain.