The Move

Meredith finally finished up Derek's sutures and signed his discharge papers, all whilst feeling his eyes almost burn holes through her skin from how much he was staring at her. He gave her a business card with his number on it, even though she was secretly hoping he would've just given her his personal number.

'Blue and green Dr. Grey, give me a call if you make the right decision' he said in a husky, luring voice.

He walked out of the ER, tall and as if he owned the place. Meredith could hear someone calling her name but the only thing in her mind was his arse. Her eyes drifted down there unexpectedly and stayed put until it was no longer visible.

***
*Sorry about switching POV, but from now on the story with be as if Meredith were writing this, not third person.

Thoughts were constantly running through my mind. Voices of people talking to me going in one ear and out of the other. I was moments away from making the scariest decision of my life. This place had been hell on Earth from the first patient after Dr. Shepherd. As soon as he left, I felt my heart tug for more of his voice and scenes of his hair. Never in my life did I think I would ever feel like this but I did.

I decided that making the 'right' decision was about the only thing that would save me right about now. I had not one single person who cared for me in the hospital. Not one peer who looked out for me or had my best interest,  not that I needed anyone since I'd done pretty well on my own this far. Not a single surgeon who begged the Chief for me to be their intern. I made the phone call.

'Hi, this is Dr Derek Shepherd. May I help?' was the inevitable voice at the other end of the line. I stuttered not knowing how to compose myself after hearing his voice.

'Erm, h-hi, I was phoning about a job availability at Seattle Grace. Is it still vacant?'

'Hi Meredith. Yes, the internship is still available. It's been available since our first meet up until now I'm assuming?' He questioned, looking for an answer which didn't come out of my voice for a while.

Firstly, how did he know who l was on the phone? I didn't even say my name, I don't think. And secondly, had he known I was going to phone and that's why he kept the job open? This man made me so nervous and I never got nervous. Good nerves though. Scared nerves in a way.

'Okay, when do I start?' I asked confidently trying not to show my nerves and emotions for him, yet I'm sure he knew what I was thinking since it took me a while to compose myself after hearing his voice.

'2 days. Come to my office and I'll take you to the chief and get you started on your first day as a green eyed girl in blue scrubs who works at Seattle Grace Hospital.' He didn't even give me chance to say anything after that. Maybe leaving me on the edge, wanting more from him. One of his many luring sexual tactics I assumed.

I arrived 2 days later at my new job. Nervous not because it was my first day but because I was about to see Derek again and I knew how that made me feel. He made me stutter. Grey's do not stutter. Not for anyone. But apparently I did in-front of him. I made my way to his office, trying to turn the knob on the door. But it didn't open and then I heard a voice behind me shout, 'Dr. Grey, good morning.' It was the Chief of Surgery, Richard Webber.

'Dr. Grey, Dr. Shepherd isn't here, as you can see. He informed me that we had a new doctor interested in a place in this hospital and told me you'd be up here round about this time, and here you are. Punctuality, a great start.'

Where was Derek at? The only thing I was really looking forward to today, was seeing him and he wasn't there. I just told myself that he would be back before I finished my shift, to see me since he seemed so interested the first time we met. That was what got me through my first day as an intern here. I loved it already. Everyone was welcoming and nobody talked about me behind my back, which was a nice change.

3 weeks had passed and I'd not heard one word of Derek's voice. The first week of being at Seattle Grace, all I could think about was him and where he was but then as the time went on my mind focused more on my job than the man who couldn't even bother to see how my first day went. And plus, I'd made new friends. A stubborn and dark humoured woman who went by the name Cristina, had now become my support line and the person who practically knew me inside and out. We had an instant connection, possibly because of our lack of interest in the world outside of surgery and tequila and she was dark and twisty like me. I'd been given my first surgery, where I was able to hold the equipment and assist my superior who just happened to be nicknamed 'The Nazi'. So I would say that my life was pretty brilliant right now without a man in it and I was doing just fine with my tequila and my person.

My pager beeped whilst I was in the middle of lunch so I got up and went to attend to it. I pushed my chair in. Turned around and my phone started ringing.
'DEREK SHEPHERD' the name read and once again butterflies re-entered my stomach and heart palpitations filled my chest.