Chapter Nine - Christmas

-----

Luna was giddy at the fact that Freya had defied the school rules and was able to sneak away to Hogsmeade. She wished that Luna was in her third year so they could have spent the day together. Nevertheless, Freya shared whatever sweets her friends bought for her with her Ravenclaw dorm buddy.

Christmas had rapidly approached over the final week of term, transforming the spooky feeling of Halloween to one of joy and cheer. Freya just had to ignore the Slytherin's hurling insults whenever they could. It took everything not to retaliate, but thankfully she had her friends to steer her clear. Freya was glad to hear that nearly all of the Slytherin's, including Malfoy, were going home for Christmas. Speaking of, Luna had offered Freya to spend Christmas with her and her father, but Freya had respectfully declined. Admittedly, she was curious to see what loony Lovegood's house was like, and if her father was anything like her, but she decided she was better off at the castle, where she could get lost in her studies. Plus, she felt like she was intruding. Surely, Luna's just being polite.

So, a few weeks into the Christmas holidays, Freya was either tucked up by the fire under her blue Ravenclaw blankets or in the library, reading up on practically every book. She was aware of the exams at the end of the year, and was determined not to get left behind. If she were to fail, she's sure she wouldn't hear the end of it from Draco and his goons.

Rubbing her tired eyes, Freya closes another book, dust flying off and spiralling to the ground. She grabs another, staring down at her notes on her parchment. Her quill had nearly run out of ink too. She sighed again and muttered a curse under her breath. There were only two fifth years in the library with her and the moody librarian of course, but she doubted they even noticed, or better yet, cared she was there. Freya was glad to be non-existent in some people's eyes.

"There must be something in here that could help Hagrid," Comes an awfully familiar voice, full of determination.

"I'm sure you're right, Hermione. But it could take forever to find a way to save Buckbeak."

Frowning, Freya closes her book and heads towards the voices. She was right - Harry, Ron and Hermione had decided to stay for Christmas.

"What are you guys doing?" Freya wonders, leaning against one of the bookframes.

Hermione looks startled to see Freya here, and pushes one of the books back into it's position on the frame.

"Freya!" Hermione exclaims. "I... I thought you left for the holidays."

"Nope, still here."

Freya stares at the book that Hermione had put back, her fingers slightly drumming over the spine.

"Y'know, whatever it is, I can help," Freya offers, pushing herself off the frame and stepping towards the book. "I've got nothing better to do."

"Well-" Harry starts, as Freya examines the book on the shelf.

"Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them," Freya reads, tilting her head at the spine. "An interesting read, but I doubt you'll find what you're looking for."

The trio share a look of bewilderment at Freya, who gestures her head over to where her desk is. They follow her after a slight hesitation.

"Based on your very loud proclamation," Freya starts, shooting a playful smile back at Hermione. "I take it Malfoy's family 'won' the hearing."

The silence is deafening.

"Yeah..." Freya continues, digging through the pile of books on her desk. "Well, I've been researching a ton on the Malfoy's and the more legal side of magic for a while now. It's dull, I'll admit, but I'm definitely learning something."