Thirty Eight

"I don't think I would allow you to steal Aubrie away from me."

Elise looked behind her and saw Cleo.  He's upset, the girl could feel it. She gently reached out to him in hopes to calm him down.

When had she become a total softy for the boy?

"Calm down, Cleo, you're upsetting me too." Elise whispered to him, causing the boy look at her with a frown before leting out a shuddering breath out. He repeated the action.

After a few deep breaths, he smiled at Elise softly, completely calm now since he didn't want Elise to be distressed as it might trigger her disease to act up and nobody would want to create a scene at such an important day.

Cleo reached out to grab her hand and squeezed it comfortingly. "Thank you, Aubrie."

Elise smiled but then looked at Hugo. Hugo's face was painted in surprise and slight annoyance (and jealousy?) but it shifted into a nice, respectful smile towards Cleo before anybody could even decipher it.

Well, Elise did and she's pretty sure that Cleo did as well.

"Wow, I didn't know that Elise has a guardian angel for friend." He said sweetly, all smiles. "Because you, sir, look very angelic to me."

Elise had to stop herself from laughing at the cringy line.

She wondered if she should tell Hugo that Cleo knows his real self already due to the bond they share.

Nah. She should just let them be.

'Aubrie.' Cleo chastised lightly. 'That's not very nice to Hugo. Even if I am irritated at his disrespect towards you, it's still not nice.'

'I'm not nice to begin with.'

Elise could see the boy pouting in her head, which caused her to chuckle at him.

'You may not be capable of seeing how nice you are but that's I'm here to remind you that you are and you are. Goddess, Aubrie, you should see how perfect you are because in my eyes, you are.'

Elise sighed but then nodded at him in defeat. It's better to agree with the boy instead of arguing with him.

Hugo clearly saw the action and he clenched his fist in irritation. He doesn't know why though. Irritation just flooded through him when he saw Elise reach out to the boy with the softest expression he'd seen on the girl's face and the boy just took her hand like it was nothing! Now, she's giving him a small smile while the boy looked completely wiped by it!

Why was he even bothered by it?

Frustration was then added to his irritation.

"I'm not angel, Sir Hugo. I'm merely a boy who just wants holds Elise close to me." Cleo was all smiles as well.  He sounded respectful and lovely. Elise would have ignore the malicious intent towards Hugo but it was too funny to do so.

"But if we're talking about angels, I believe that being in your general existence is very heavenly."

Wow. Is that flirting she hears or is that just a compliment?

Hard to tell with how sweet it sounded.

Girls in the ages of Cleo's or Hugo's would have died to hear that since the two seems to look so famously good. Their fans would probably want to be the one receiving their sweet, heart-puking, butt-shooting-out-rainbows-and-candies like words.

Well, that's not a problem to be honest since their fans were already 'secretly' listening in.

She looks at Hugo expectantly like he was some kind of amazing movie actor who's about to spew out his sweet lines that would flutter everyone's heart.