The Forest of Dean

It was December 25, 1997.

Harry had been resting from his injuries as Hermione sat with Ellie against the trunk of a tree. A blanket was pulled over the lovers' legs as Ellie rested her head on Hermione's shoulder. Hermione was reading out loud to her girlfriend, placing a kiss on her the Hufflepuff's forehead every so often. A small campfire provided a minuscule source of warmth for the two, its ember slowly dying.

Harry suddenly emerged from the tent, taking in his surroundings as he neared the girls.

"Are you feeling better?" Hermione asked, looking up from her book.

"You've outdone yourself this time, Hermione," Harry observed.

"The Forest of Dean," Hermione stated. "I came here once with Mum and Dad, years ago. It's just how I remember it. The trees, the river, everything. Like nothing's changed."

Harry sat down at the roots of a nearby tree branch, settling in as he crossed his arms over each other for warmth.

"Not true, of course. Everything's changed. If I brought my parents back here now, they probably wouldn't recognize any of it. Not the trees, not the river... not even me," Hermione trailed.

Ellie took their interlaced fingers and placed a kiss on the back of Hermione's hand, making the Gryffindor crack a small smile.

"Maybe we should just stay here. Grow old," Hermione suggested in a light-hearted tone, though she seemed to be serious.

"I wouldn't mind," Ellie muttered as she rubbed her thumb over Hermione's hand, earning another smile from her girlfriend.

Hermione turned to Harry once more.

"You wanted to know who the boy in the photograph was. I know. Gellert Grindelwald," Hermione explained as she handed the book she was reading to Harry.

The boy flipped through the pages, eventually stopping at one with the same photo.

"He's the thief I saw in Gregorovitch's Wand Shop. Speaking of which, where is my wand?"

Hermione didn't say anything, but gave an apologetic expression.

"Where's my wand, Hermione?" Harry continued frustratedly.

"Watch your tone, Harry," Ellie warned without looking, her eyes closed as she listened to their conversation.

Hermione carefully lifted her blanket to reveal Harry's broken wand, being careful not to disturb her girlfriend.

"As we were leaving Godric's Hollow, I cast a curse and it rebounded. I'm sorry. I tried to mend it, but wands are different," Hermione apologized.

"It's done," Harry interrupted, clearly restraining himself from speaking any louder. "Leave me yours. Go inside and get warm. I'll take the locket as well."

Hermione paused for a moment before reluctantly giving up her wand.

"Come on, darling," Hermione said as she lifted her girlfriend to her feet cautiously.

Just before leaving, Ellie glanced over to Harry, her eyes emitting sorrow.

"You can use mine," Ellie offered, taking her wand out of her pocket.

"No, no. It's okay. I have Hermione's already," Harry dismissed. "Head inside. I'll keep watch."

"It's here if you need it," Ellie nodded as she made her way to the tent, closing the flaps behind her.

Ellie turned to look for Hermione, who was already laying on the cot, her book in front of her. The Hufflepuff made her way to her girlfriend and laid right on top, resting her legs in between her girlfriend's.