Chapter 8

"Wow mommy, you look so pretty" Everleigh giggles. She runs to her mom and wraps her arms tightly around her her legs.
Veronica wears a dark blue A line dress with spaghetti straps and a V neck. It ends right above her knees. Her hair is straight and her make up simple but beautiful. Her eyeshadow matches the color of her dress. In her hand she holds her purse and a beige coat. She drops both to the floor and begins to run her fingers through Everleigh's hair.

"Thank you sweetheart"

"Where are you going?"

"I told you honey. I'm having dinner with a friend"

"When will you be back?" Everleigh asks. She rests her chin on Veronica's leg and stares up to her.

"I don't know yet but you will definitely be asleep by then"

"Nooo" the little girl whines. "I want you to tuck me in"

"Sweetheart I promise you when I get back I'll come to your room and kiss you goodnight"

"Do you pinky promise?"

"I pinky promise" Veronica smiles "remember today is Saturday so bedtime is at 8:30"

"Yes mommy"

Veronica crouches down to her daughter. She takes her into her arms and places a couple of kisses on her cheek. "I love you so much Everleigh"

"I love you too" the little girl mumbles.

"Be a good girl. Listen to auntie B"

"Yes mommy" Everleigh says and wraps her arms tighter around Veronica neck. The raven haired woman kisses her daughter's head one last time before she gets up and walks towards the door. Betty opens it for her with a big grin on her face.

"Thanks Betty"

"No problem V. Now go and have fun!"

•••

Archie stands outside her apartment. He's extremely nervous but also excited. He fumbles with the top bottom of his white dress shirt. In his other hand he holds a bouquet of flowers. His hands are sweaty and his heart even beats a little faster than usually when he's around her. He can't wait to spend an entire evening with her, get closer and maybe, when he's lucky, even receive a little kiss. Just the thought of that makes him smile.

His heart stops beating for a second when the big doors open and Veronica walks out.
His jaw hangs open. He walks closer to her slowly.

"Wow Ronnie. You look .... wow" is all that leaves his mouth.

"Thank you Archie" she giggles "you look really handsome"

Archie smiles and hands Veronica the bouquet of flowers. A mix of white and red and pink roses.
"For you"

Veronica blushes. She stares at the flowers for a little while. Tears form in her eyes.

"You okay? Do you like the flowers or-"

"They're beautiful Archie, thank you. I just never got flowers from anyone before"

"Wait what? Are you serious?"

"Mhm. Well I got flowers from my dad for my birthday-"

"That doesn't count" Archie says.