Chapter 7

I didn't know what it was about Archie but he made my heart beat fast. He made me want to go to college just so I could talk to him. He was so sweet and kind and such a gentleman. I can't lie, I was falling for him. I didn't want to because I wasn't sure how he would react to Everleigh but I couldn't change the way I was feeling.

"So when did you meet him?" Betty asks. She lies on the bed. Veronica lies next to her with Everleigh asleep on her chest. The raven haired woman runs her fingers through her daughter's hair and smiles slightly.

"Last week"

"Is he a potential future boyfriend?"

Veronica giggles and blushes lightly. "I don't know B. What about Ev?"

"Veronica honey, just because you dated one asshole doesn't mean all men are horrible. Most of them are, yes but there are still some good ones"

"I don't know him long enough to know"

Betty sighs. "You like him right?"

"I think I do"

"Well then see where this goes. I know Everleigh is most important to you but you can't forget about yourself. Give him a chance"

"Maybe"

Betty giggles "what is he like? Is he handsome?"

"Very handsome" Veronica grins. "He has red hair, the most beautiful brown eyes I have ever seen, a few freckles and a strong jawline. He looks cute but hot at the same time. Do you know what I mean? He's so kind and just absolutely adorable"

"Oh V honey, you're already head over heels into him" Betty laughs.

"I wouldn't say that"

"Don't be ashamed. It's cute. I'm sure Ev would love to have a daddy"

"BETTY" Veronica squeals and shakes her head. She begins to twirl Everleigh's curls between her fingers and kisses her head "Leave my baby out of this"

"What? it's the truth" she giggles "I know she absolutely adores you but don't you think her life would be even better with a dad in her life? I don't want to sound rude, you're an amazing mom and trust me I'm happy Michael is gone but a father figure might be good for her"

"I know that B. I'm just scared to tell him"

"Hey if he reacts stupidly he's not the right one anyway"

Veronica sighs "I guess you're right"

A buzzing phone interrupts their conversation. Veronica grabs it from the nightstand. A big smile grows on her face when she reads the text message.

"Mr. Perfect?" Betty grins.

"Mhm"

"Spill! What did he say?"

Veronica giggles before she begins to read: "Hey Ronnie, I just wanted to say goodnight. Do you need a lift to school tomorrow? I can pick you up"

"Oh wow" Betty grins. "You're into him and he's totally into you"

"No, I don't think so"

"A goodnight text? Come on V" the blonde girl says "Will you say yes?"

"I don't know. What about Ev?"

"Veronica" Betty giggles " I'll take Ev to school tomorrow and you let Archie pick you up"

"Would you do that?"

"Of course"

Veronica smiles. She bites the inside of her lip and thinks a second about what to answer before she begins to type. 'Sounds great Archie, thank you. Goodnight"
She stares at her text. It looks so plain. Maybe even a little rude. So she adds a heart. She doesn't know if that's too much or not so she hits send before she can overthink it.
'Sounds great Archie, thank you. Goodnight ❤️'

Veronica puts her phone aside and continues her conversation with Betty, not knowing what that little red heart did to Archie"

•••

Veronica kisses Everleigh goodbye before she walks out of the door and out of the apartment complex. Archie's red truck is right in front of the entrance. A smile grows on her face when she can see him wave. She opens the car door and hops in.

"Good morning Ronnie. You look beautiful"

"Thank you Archie. That's really sweet" Veronica giggles. She leans over to him and places a little kiss on his cheek. It makes him blush.

"Ready for school?" he asks

"No but we don't have a choice"

He chuckles and looks into her pretty eyes before he starts to drive.

He loves how Veronica knows every single song that comes on and sings along. Her voice is beautiful and he could listen to her for forever. He glances over to her a couple of times. Her window is down. The wind blows in her hair and makes her look even more beautiful. Archie can't describe what he's feeling. He met her only a week ago and she's already everything he ever wanted. She's kind, cute, polite and very pretty. She seems so confident and independent. He loves that but he loves even more when she lets him help her. Like last week when she accepted his hoodie. She's wearing it today and Archie can't get that image of her in his hoodie out of his head.
Her hair is perfectly curled, her make up is simple but beautiful, she's wearing ripped jeans, a pair of white sneaker and his hoodie.
The grin on his face grows.

"What?" Veronica asks as she leans back in her seat.

Archie looks over for a second before he focuses on the road again. "Nothing" he chuckles.

When they arrive, Archie grabs Veronica's wrist before she can get out of the car. "Can I ask you something?"

"Uhm sure?"

"What are you doing Saturday night?"

"Nothing, why?"

Archie grins and lets go of her wrist. "Can I take you out?"

"Me?" she asks. Her cheeks blush.

"Yeah you Ronnie" he chuckles. "I like you and I really want to go on a date with you. Or- or do you have a boyfriend? Am I being too forward?"

"No, no. I'd love to go out with you" she smiles "anything planned already?"

"Yes but I won't tell you. I'll pick you up at 7"

"Sounds great" she giggles. She keeps looking into his eyes. Both of them are so distracted by each other that they don't even notice how silent it is. Archie's eyes shine and his heart beats fast. Veronica is so beautiful and cute. He can't wait to go out with her. He loves their talks during lunch or math class but he wants more.

"Uhm Archie?" she giggles and waves her hand in front of his eyes.

"Huh?"

"We should go. Class starts in 10 minutes"

Archie blinks rapidly a couple of times before he snaps back into reality. "Yeah, yeah sure" he mumbles.

"You're cute" Veronica giggles. She kisses his cheek and gets out of the car, leaving Archie behind with bright red cheeks and a racing heart.