»11«

"What's the meaning of this?" 

Emo stepped inside the crowded temple while she dragged an unconscious Kuroo into the temple. A few people glanced up, furrowing their brows but kept their mouths shut as it wasn't the first time they saw the scene in front of them. 

"The better and more important question is, why is he with you?" snarled Osamu. 

"Ah, Osamu," smirked his twin, "you wish that were you with Emi-chan, huh?"

Emi chuckled when Osamu hit his brother harshly against the head. The blond yelped of pain and returned to his seat. Emi and Osamu starred at each other in utter silence, making the people around them observe uncomfortably. They would have kept staring at each other if Inari didn't make them take their seats. 

"It has come to my attention," spoke Inari, "that one of my foxes knows the reason why our villages are being attacked." 

The room fell silent. Not a single soul dared to speak as everyone was too concerned with his next words. 

"Suna, bring forward the accused."

The door busted open from the right side of the room, and Suna dragged (y/n) by her hair. Emi grabbed the pistole around her hips tightly as she watched him come to a halt in front of the crowd. A few people gasped as others began to speak of war against (y/n). (y/n) sighed loudly and pressed her upper body from the ground before she carefully glanced around the room. Everyone was looking at her. 

"Silence."

"Why is (y/n) being accused?" asked Emi. 

"Suna, why don't you explain this?"

Suna sighed but glanced into Emi eyes coldly. 

"Ever since the human, ("She has a name!" shouted Emi), ...Emi, arrived in our village the other human have attacked us. She is the reason they are coming to our island."

"But, what could (y/n) have done to upset the other humans?" questioned Hinta. 

"Yes, Suna, what could she have done?" asked Emi with a deadly hint in her sweet voice. 

However, Suna took his leave and vanished into thin air before anyone could ask another question. Emi wanted to rush after him, but Osamu kept her by his side. Kita took a seat next to (y/n) and asked if she was alright. She quickly nodded and asked if she could have something to drink. A servant she has never seen before rushed to her side and gave her a cup of warm tea. 

"So, what are we do to now? And what does Suna mean?" Daichi growled and finished off another glass of sake. 

"It is true," sighed Inari, "ever since Emi joined us on the island, she had been haunted by her past. The only thing you need to concern yourself with is the faith you laid in me to protect this island. In the next moon, you shall have this island to your lonesome again. For the time now, do as you always did."

The crowd nodded and left the temple. Even Emi left and went to get a drink with the twins. The only one left was Kuroo, but his gang quickly heaved him over their shoulders and carried him away. (y/n) glanced at the god, scared and frightened. However, she was also confused. 

"Why didn't you tell them the reason I came here?" she asked in a low voice. 

"Because," he gently smiled at her, "it isn't for them to know yet. However, I believe one of my foxes needs to know. I'm sure you can find him lurking around somewhere. Go on then."

Despite not wanting to see Suna again, (y/n) walked around the temple, searching for him. She walked through the temple and ended up being lost. Suddenly, something brushed behind her. (y/n) shrieked aloud and whipped her head behind her shoulder, but nothing was there. Quickly, she tried to leave the room but the door in her face. Her watery eyes enlarged and the hairs on the nape of her neck bristled. A gaggle of goose pimples laminated her frigid, naked skin. Slow and deliberate, the door handle turned. She tried to scream, but the inside of her mouth lacked any moisture, and a croak was all that issued from her gape. Finally, the door creaked open and...Suna smirked down at her. (y/n) held her chest, trying to calm her breathing as the fox walked around her, circling his prey with hungry eyes. 

"Why are you looking for me?" barked Suna. 

"I-Inari made you look for you," she stuttered. 

"Why?"

"Because I need to tell you something."

"I'm not interested," snarled Suna and began to walk away. 

She felt her mouth gap open, but before her brain could finish the thought inside her mind, she ran after him. She seized his arm and yanked him to face her. For a second, he felt himself being drawn into her eyes, and a spell laid itself over him. Suna tore his arm away from her, breaking the spell, and snapped. 

"Go on! Tell me then if you must!"

"I didn't come here on my own choosing!" 

His eyes widened. 

"My father got into trouble and gave me, his unborn child at the time, into the hands of a man he owed a large debt to. My mother didn't want me to marry the cruel man's son, so she begged the gods to help me. Inari listened, and so he took me away before my wedding night. That is the reason why I am here. And the attacks on the island, yes, they might be because of the men I was supposed to marry. But you have to understand that I didn't want this!"

The moment he realized he'd misinterpreted her actions, her words, her expressions... as if she'd been speaking a language he couldn't understand... that moment her words stopped was the moment his heart broke... yet it was a good breaking... the type that leads to healing and new ways onward; sometimes, the loss of words says more.