30 - void

CW:  discussion of deep, distressing thoughts and feelings
-

Pain.

What an inconsolable thing. A feeling which cannot be disregarded but only endured until all of the wounds which have imbedded so deeply, can eventually begin to heal.

It is something to be experienced by every one being to ever exist. Nobody can go through a lifetime without feeling the torment of pain. It is something which lives within; an inevitable part of life.

The worst thing about pain is how utterly inescapable it is. And for the ability to heal, it has to be felt. Properly, deeply felt through every nerve, every atom and every inch of the soul.

So as a means to ignore it and to make oneself feel nothing at all, how is it possible to even remotely begin to heal. Instead, it drains and exhausts the soul until nothing but a miserable void remains. And eventually it raises one particular question.

How can emptiness feel so damn heavy?

Athena partially opened her eyes reluctantly, resistant to escape the tranquility of sleep. In her hand she could feel another's; a cold clasp resting within her grips. Between the slits which her eyelids allowed, she could see a white blonde head collapsed onto the bed next to where her body lay.

Draco had refused to leave her the entire night. He insisted on staying with her and she saw no reason to protest for she couldn't have much of a care as to do so. Madam Pomfrey however showed disapproval, stating he ought to get a good night's rest, though what fight could be held for long against Malfoy.

The feel of his touch didn't effect Athena like it usually would. She lay there, peering down at their weakly intertwined hands, purely feeling nothing at all but the physicality of touch.

After a few moments, his eyes fluttered open and he lifted his head rapidly, in a daze of confusion. His fingers fell from hers, disconnecting their loose grip and he straightened up on the chair he had been resting on.

While he composed himself, it were only a matter of seconds before he realised she was awake and had seen all of that. But she couldn't give much of a care.

The corners of his mouth curled up into a weak smile while a hint of grief lingered in his eyes, one which Athena had never seen before. She wondered what emotion he could see in her eyes.

Quite frankly, she figured he could see no difference. She didn't really feel sad, she didn't really feel anything at all except a draining pit in her chest that ached and writhed with every thought which entered her mind.

It were as if the moment they had shared in the bathroom, the instance where her sobs had ripped through her chest, had perhaps exhausted her of every emotion.

Her heart felt rather hollow as if nothing could possibly break it now for there was nothing left to hurt her. Not true of course, anything could break her, perhaps even the slightest touch. That's what it seemed.

Athena's eyes rested feebly on his whilst neither of the pair uttered a word to each other, allowing the peaceful void of silence to continue for a few more moments.

"Good sleep?"she asked, after the silent minutes had passed.

"Er- no not really. I've hurt my neck," he sighed raising a hand to the side of his neck and rubbing it profusely.

"Oh," she said, mechanically pulling a frown.

His eyes fleeted from hers for a moment as the two once again fell into silence, prolonging several moments for the unsaid.