Chapter 5 - Meeting the future

Boarding the destroyer, the group first entered some sort of hallway, which stretched the entire length of the ship. They decided that hey would head left, to the front of the boat. They came across multiple rooms, such as sleeping quarters and the dining area. 

y/n: I'm curious as to how the food would taste?

They proceeded and came across the bridge, which appeared to have all of its systems up and running. As the older ships had no idea of what the new technology was, they all went to check out some equipment.

Cleveland: Whats this green spinning thing?

y/n: That's the sonar. It sends out a ping that you can't hear, and if the ping is deflected back by for example a warship, the sonar will pick that up again.

Enterprise: What's this?

y/n: Those are just the maps from were i came from. You can zoom out and move across it by swiping the table. You can even use multiple maps of different locations, for example harbors or entire oceans.

Enterprise: Interesting...

Prince of Wales: What's this stick thingy?

y/n: That's the control stick for the main cannon. The main cannon is 5 inches and has a caliber of 45". It can shoot 16 to 20 shells per minute to a range of 13 nautical miles, which is about 24 kilometers.

Prince of Wales: Impressive!

y/n: Let's continue shall we?

The group came to the end of the warship at the bow, where they immediately noticed the vertical launch system.

y/n: For anyone wondering, that's the weapon system that i saved unicorn with. Inside each of those squares is a missile, which is a rocket booster with a warhead. The ones i currently have equipped, are the SLM tomahawk cruise missiles, which have a range of up to 2500 kilometers and can have a warhead of 500 kilograms of fragmentation.

Cleveland: 2500 kilometers...

Enterprise: Can you show us? With a blank or something?

y/n: Sadly, blanks do not exist. But if somebody would care to give me a target i would gladly shoot it down.

Enterprise: I'll call for one.

The group waited a bit until a drone started flying overhead. 

y/n: I would stand back a bit if i were you.

One of the silo's opened, and one of the missiles soared towards the target. Once the missile reached its target, the proximity fuse detonated the charges in the warhead of the weapon.

Cleveland: Whoa!

y/n: Do you guys want to continue with the tour?

Prince of Wales: Sure.

They headed back inside the ship, end went aft. They came across the rooms the saw previously, but also some unfamiliar ones. For example the hangar bay, complete with 2 Seahawks.

Enterprise: What are those?

y/n: Those are my 2 helicopters that i carry onboard. They are of the SH-60B Seahawks class, and can fly at a speed of 268 kilometers per hour at a height of 5790 meters with a total range of 704 kilometers.

Prince of Wales: But isn't the propellor supposed to be on the front?

y/n: With helicopters it different. I can show you if you want.

Enterprise: I'd like to see it take off from such a short flight deck.

y/n: Oh it doesn't work that way, look at this.

One of the helicopter rolled onto the helipad and started it's engine. Once the engine was up and running, the helicopter increased its throttle and started lifting off of the deck.

Enterprise: What? How?

y/n: You know that with normal airplanes the propellors pull the aircraft forward? Well with a helicopter the giant propellor on the top is used to pull it upward.

The helicopter started flying around the vessel and then hovered in one spot.

y/n: This means it can also stay in one spot, because it doesn't need speed to generate lift.

Enterprise: So it can also take off from aircraft carriers?

y/n: Yes, but i don't know how to get more than 2.

Enterprise: Well that's a shame.But i hope you can figure out how to get more.

y/n: I'll try my best but i have no idea how yet so it might take some time.

Enterprise: Okay

Cleveland: But what are those?

y/n: Those? They are the CIWS Phalanx.

Prince of Wales: CIWS?

y/n: Close In Weapon System. It's used for shooting down missiles like the tomahawks that i carry or for shooting down planes. Together with the missiles i used this to shoot down most of the aircraft when the two other aircraft carriers attacked.

Enterprise: You mean the missiles at the bow?

y/n: No, those are for attacking ships. These missiles are for shooting down aircraft.

Cleveland: What are they?

y/n: They are the SM-2 Standard SAM missiles, and i also have another RIM-162 ESSM SAM onboard. The RIM version is a bit more modern. They have semi-active radar, which means that the radar is only focused on the area in front of the weapon, instead of a full 360. It has a range of  about 74-167 kilometers and is about five meters long.

Prince of Wales: So its the same kind of weapon as the other one you showed us, but instead of hitting ships its meant to shoot down aircraft?

y/n: Yes, but they can in times of emergencies be used for attacking surface targets swell.

Cleveland: Cool!

y/n: I think that's about it, there's not much else to show.

Enterprise: It is fun to see what the future has made.

Prince of Wales: I agree, but why change to these "missiles", and not just keep the normal cannons?

y/n: Like i said, the missiles have much greater range, and don't need such a big platform to fire them from. Also, you can't really defend yourself against them with armor, so they decided to make lighter ships with defense systems instead of heavier ships with armor because they are much cheaper to make.

Enterprise: Makes sense.

y/n: A few more questions though; can i just keep my ship here or do i need to move it back out to sea? Also, is there a place for me to live and sleep or do i need to do that onboard?

Prince of Wales: The base was designed to take multiple ships at once so you can just keep it here.

Enterprise: And i'll tell the Manjuu's to build some more living quarters for you.

y/n: Manjuu's?

Cleveland: Have you seen the little yellow birds walking and flying around?

y/n: I have seen a few, yes.

Cleveland: That's them.

y/n: Ooooh... I was wondering what they were.

As they left the boat, each of them went to do their own thing. Wales went back into the building, Cleveland went to who knows where and Enterprise went to probably call some of those "Manjuu's". Y/n decided to take a look around the base, as he didn't have much time to do so before.

5th chapter done! There will be a break from updates, because i'm going on vacation. So i will start writing again on Tuesday. 

Until next time.