𝟘𝟟.

•○•

The bell finally rang, signaling that it was time to go home for the day. Esme's heart felt full once she left, knowing that everyone who deserved a present this year got one. Feeling the bus pull up infront of her house, she stood up and began walking down the aisle.

"Merry Christmas Ron! See you next year!" Esme hollered as she got off the bus and ran inside.

As Esme was taking off her coat and shoes, all of her teachers, Principal Powers, and even Warren opened their notes from the precious gypsy hearted girl, Esmerelda Craine.

'Dear Warren,

Before I came to Sky High, I had no idea what was going to happen. I was afraid and nervous that I would never get to experience actual high school because of what my father had done. His actions forced me to hide in a shell and not put forth who I truly am.

Well that stops now. No matter who you are, what your background is, if your a superhero or hero support, we all deserve to have a wonderful life. So from me to you, here is your present. And remember, there is a hero in all of us.

-From Yours Truly
Esmerelda Craine, Aka Esme'

As Warren read through the note, he suddenly began to feel something that he had never felt before. It felt like a sudden fire was ignited inside of his stomach, one that was not produced by his flames.

He hated how this is how he felt about the girl, he hated how sweet and nice she was to him all the time. How she could see the good inside of people without even knowing them at all. Giving people a chance when no one would give her the light of day.

But for Warren, those were also all of the things he admired about Esme. He admired how courageous and spontaneous she was, how honest she was about not knowing anything bout Mad Science, and how beautifully and raw talented she is.

Warren knew that he couldn't take back the past 4 months of not talking to Esme, but he also knew that he could make it up to her by trying his hardest to get to know her better.

His mother, Mrs. Evanageline Peace or better known as Everest, could see how her son was beginning to change. It might've only been a little bit, but for her she could finally see her son starting to find himself again.

Ever since Barron had been arrested, she feared that her son would steer off the path of being a hero and end up lile her father. She tried her best to keep him on a steady path and make sure that he graduated on time.

Warren was a very intellectual student and cared about his mother very much, he didn't want to make her feel like she couldn't do her best. So Warren always pushed his hardest in school and made sure to come out on top.

Sometimes that got him into more trouble then anything, but he didn't mind it as long as he got to prove to his mother that he was still on track.

Tonight, Warren was once more working at The Paper Lantern as he did almost every night. He didn't mind working because then he had money to do or get stuff that ctsully interested him outside of school.

Getting ready was easy, all he had to really do was throw on his black wife beater and a different pair of jeans, along with his leather jacket. He also had to slick back his hair ao that it didn't get in his way or into any of the customers food by accident.

5 o'clock rolled around and it was time for him to head out. Kissing his mothers forehead before leaving, he shut the door and began walking down the street towards the only Chinese restaurant in a miles radius.

The cold didn't really have an effect on Warren since he was basically like a radiator of his own. Being to hot was a curse though, if he held onto anything or anyone while angry, would be set aflame in a matter of seconds.

Another reason why Warren didn't get too close to anyone. He didn't want to harm them in anyway. The day of power placement when he threw the fireball at the wall, and it accidentally hit Esme, he felt terrible. Not letting anyone see it of course, but it still made him feel terrible.

Entering the restaurant, the instant aroma of Chinese food hit Warren's face. He headed off towards the back of the restuarant to place his jacket down and grab his apron for the night. Tonight was definitely not their busiest, but it was decent for being a Friday night.

Warren began bussing tables and taking down orders from the people that came. It was the usual that he had grown according to doing in his Auntie's restaurant. He had been doing this for what seemed like an eternity, when in reality he only started doing the dishes 2 years ago when he turned 12 years old.

The night began to get restless as more people left and came. It was rather a peaceful evening, and Warren was thankful for that. Especially after what he was feeling back at home when he read the note Esme had written out to him.

Sighing deeply, he rested his hands on the table he was wiping down and remembered that he hadn't looked or unwrapped the gift that Esme had gotten him. He told himself that as soon as he got home, he had to open it to see what she had given him.

All he had to do was think of something to give her in return.

•○•

Warren soon returned home from work, exhausted and ready for nothing more then to greet his bed like an old friend. But his mind was betraying him and lead him over to the desk he had in the corner of his room which held up a sentimental gift from a very beautiful and kind soul.

Ontop of the desk was a exquisitely, beautifully wrapped present that he longed awaited to open. He had no idea of what it could be and only imagined the possibilities. A lingering thought in his head was that she could also be making a cruel prank on the boy who's heart and mind were betraying him.

The sound of paper ripping went through the air as he ripped open the present. On the inside of the neatly packaged wrapping paper was a book that was Esmerelda's favorite from her collection. It was also a pun that she would hope that Warren would get, but if not it wouldn't harm to explain it too him.

Fortunate for Esme, Warren chuckled softly under his breath when he saw the title.

'War and Peace'

Warren softly shook his head as he set the book down on his desk, pushing himself up from the chair and went to take a shower. Letting the cold water wash over his body and getting rid of any noodles that found their way home with him.

Once the night fell into peace, Warren laid down ontop of his bed. Grabbing the book and began reading it, he didn't realize how intriguing the book was and before he knew it, it was already 3:30 in the morning.

With a sigh escaping his lips, Warren softly folded the page of the book he was on and sat it down on his nightstand. Turning the light off and shutting his eyes, soon drifting off into a slumber, dreaming of no one but the pretty gypsy.