𝟙𝟘.

{Sorry it has been so long since I have updated, life has been rough and crazy. But I will be returning to writing and hopefully come up with better chapters.}

•••

Cold air was blowing through the room Esme was sleeping in, making her shiver since she was not use to the cold as much as she would like to admit. Sitting next to Warren all the time had given her body some resistance to the cold weather. Her green eyes began to flutter open from the darkness that knocked her out. Blinding white was all she could see, but she knew where she was once again.

Her head was killing her, pounding so hard she wanted to cry. Moaning, sitting up, Nurse Spex slowly waddled her way into the office. Looking over at the young girl who held her head in her hand.

"School is almost over dear, we called your mother and she should be here soon to pick you up." Nurse Spex reassured Esme, who sat up and nodded her head softly.

"Could I get a..a glass of water please?" Esme asked with a dry throat, rubbing her neck gently with her hand to ease the pain.

"Of course sweetie, I'll be right back." Esme nodded, laying back down on the bed with her eyes closed as Nurse Spex made her way out the door. Making room and squeezing by the long haired teenage boy who stood in the doorway watching Esme.

Esme felt as if someone was watching her, a sixth sense that most people have, just don't know that they do. Opening her eyes to look up at the door she smiled smally, sitting back up slowly and wobbly.

Warren sped over to her bedside and helped her up. "Hey you gotta be careful." He whispered in the low, gravelly voice that seemed to uniform him so well.

"I'm not a doll Warren, I'm not gonna break any time soon." She laughed softly, brushing her hair to the side, revealing the white bandage that covered most of her forehead.

Warren's eyes traveled to the bandage, as did his hand, grazing his fingertips over the soft outer material before softly trailing his finger into her hair. His hand holding the back of her head as he pulled her into a hug.

"I'm so sorry. I should've stopped them sooner. I should've known." Warren's voice got lower and shaky. Esme shook her head and pulled Warren back to look him in the eyes.

"Hey, no one could have known what Lash and Stretch were going to do at that time. I'm fine and it is not your fault that I got hurt." Esme reassured Warren, rubbing his shoulder softly with one of her hands as the other held his cheek. It felt like fire on her hand, the warmth was comforting.

Nurse Spex watched the young romantic interaction before walking inside, clearing her throat as the two kids jumped away from each other.

"Here is the water you asked for darling." Nurse Spex smirked and winked at her as Esme began to blush.

"Where is she?! Esme?" A nurturing frantic voice was heard outside of the nurses office. Esme shook her head, closing her eyes as she sighed.

"In here mom." Esme called out waiting for her mother to walk inside.

"Thank you almighty Gaia, are you alright? How are you feeling baby? Does it hurt? Where are these punks, ill handle them for you." Esme giggled softly taking hold of her mothers hand.

"Mom I am fine. I'm sure Warren already took care of everything that needed to be. Can we just go home now please?" Esme insisted, looking between Warren, her mother, and Nurse Spex.

"Yes you may. Just keep cleaning the wound and put a new bandage on every few hours. I wouldn't recommend coming back until Thursday." Nurse Spex recommended, giving Esme a small lollipop and a polite smile.

Warren stood by Esme's side until they got to Ron's bus. Esme gave Ron a smile as she hobbled onto the bus, not letting go of the rails until she could hold onto the bus seats and slide into the first ones.

"Thank you Warren." Esme whispered softly for him to hear as she closed her eyes and leaned her head against the cold, glass window.

"Take care of her. Please...she's..just take care of her." Warren told her mom before getting off the bus and walking back into the school building. Soon enough the hothead was back in business scary the living crap out of everyone.

"I will Warren. I will." Elizabeth promised. Sitting down beside her daughter who was passed out, snoring softly creating a fog circle on the window.

•••

The days that came after this incident were terrible for Esme, not because she was in pain, more because she was bored out of her mind. Her mother kept pestering her about the spring formal dance since she had missed homecoming in the fall.

Esme wasn't really one for public events. Sure, she was most likely the most sociable person in the room, but she hated being the center of attention. If she agreed to go, she knew her mother wouldn't let her go without being bedazzled in a jeweled out gown.

"I'll think about mom, I swear. It's in two months anyways." Esme steered away from the conversation, making Elizabeth sigh.

"Fine, I'll leave it. But I better have an answer by the end of this month so if I need to make your dress, I can." Elizabeth warned her daughter with a small, playful grin on her face.

"I will mom, I promise. Now may I retreat to my lair in peace?" Esme asked, showing off her pearly whites in hopes of getting away.

Elizabeth nodded softly, slowly sulking away outside to tend to her greenhouse.

Esme sighed softly as she walked towards her room, her hand wrapped around the cold, copper knob and pushed her door open. Looking around her room slowly before sitting down in the chair near her window.

Staring outside she longed for the night to come so she could prepare for Thursday to come. She longed to see Warren again, and of course her friends, but something about Warren made her light up inside. The gears inside of her body turned in the right direction and made her want to get up, to enjoy the day.

A sudden ring coursed through the air from the living room, making Esme jolt out of her hypnotic state.

"Mom! Mom the phone is ringing!" Esme called out to her mother, but at last she couldn't hear her.

Standing up and walking out of her room, Esme picked up the phone and answered sweetly.

"Hello, Craine residence?" Esme stated through the phone. 

"Phone call from Pentagon 5 Correctional Facility. Say 'Yes' to except and say 'No' to decline." A scripted male voice answered on the other end of the line.

Esme gulped softly as she took a little while to answer, but finally she made her decision.

"Yes."

"Elizabeth? Are you there?"

"....hi dad..."

Johnathan Craine hadn't heard his sweet little girls voice in over five months. Making his heart ache to see her again.

"Hi baby."