Chapter 5

I heard my phone ringing and when I picked it up it was unknown number. I normally don’t pick up from unknown numbers case you never know what can happen. But the phone kept ringing constantly. I went downstairs to my find my uncle and he picked it up for me. Turns out it was a lady trying to call the pizza place but got the wrong number.

Well it’s good news no hacker tried to get to me, you never know these days, you have to be very cautious. Anyways, I thanked uncle for helping me and assured me not to worry and if something like this happens again that I come to him. All 3 of my uncles have been like a father to me. Taking care of all of us and helping us in need. I’m really blessed to have them I can’t imagine where we would be without them.

I headed out to the kitchen to get some breakfast. I thought of eating cereal because I had very little time left even though mom and Aunt Brittany insisted I should eat something more nutritious since it would be a hectic day, but I told them I would eat something during lunch or else I was going to run late.

I got a call from Susan and Stacy and as soon as I was done eating, I headed out the front door to see them. We chatted the whole way till we got there. It wasn’t too far away from my house. And instead of driving, I’m not so into exercising so it’s more effective this way for me to get a little active.

Gladly, we reached in time and headed in. Today I was in charge of cleaning the cages which I didn’t mind at all since I enjoyed it very much. I’m not a neat freak, seriously speaking. Watch me when I do art cause then you will be surprised to know I make a huge mess which I of course clean afterwards.

Not only is it more fun but I get a lot more ideas when. Though the room does looks it just was hit by a tornado. I remember before I wouldn’t care much if my room was hella filthy nor did I care about my health a lot. Because I was so effected by losing a loved one, I lost sight of myself. At one point I start distancing myself from people, would sit in my room all day or lay in bed.

Listen to sad songs on repeat, shedding tears. I kept a dull face on like I was some sort of zombie. I wouldn’t care if I spent the rest of my life like this. As the saying goes, “you should live today like you would die tomorrow”. Being in that mood, if I died the next day, I wouldn’t have any regrets. I was in such a position I wouldn’t want to be bothered.

After cleaning the cages, I took a little break because I felt a bit dizzy. I’m not sure why, maybe cause I didn’t eat well in the morning. This is sort of normal now. Sometimes I take great care of myself and some days I don’t care at all. Susan and Stacy were also finished with their jobs.

After a little while, I took the animals for a walk. All of us have been working hard to train them. Slowly, they were learning we don’t hurt them or lash out at them. It’s important that we are gentle and patient with them as possible. We know their history of what they have been through. Some were homeless and were found on the street and some who had been abused by their owners.

They don’t have a heart, do they? I wonder. Surely, they have a heart but only for pumping blood. Maybe they didn’t breathe the same air we did but rather a more toxic one. I had always hated the idea of abuse not just with animals but with people. I don’t know why some people do it.

I get that maybe they weren’t in their right mind but they weren’t even the slightest bit sane to know they were hitting a living being. Animals are better than people, don’t you think?

As I was walking the animals, I felt as if someone was following me the whole way. I turned to look around time to time but there wasn’t anyone there. I started walking a bit faster and I could hear footsteps behind me.

Now I knew someone was surely following me. To re-check I took a turn around the block and then again. But I was still being followed. I was walking and walking till I reached a dead end and I didn’t know what I could do. I’m not too experienced with any fighting skills but I do know a little something and I was about to call 911. It was a man but, he looked harmless.

He approached with something shiny in his hand. I was confused with what was going on but found out that he was just trying to give me my necklace that I had dropped on the way. The reason why he didn’t call me was because he was deaf and couldn’t speak so he tried communicating with me. I didn’t know much about sign language, I had only seen it in movies mostly. So I searched online and was able to thank him and he apologized if he scared me. I said it was alright because I wouldn’t blame him.

He was only trying to help me. I headed out with the animals and boy, can they be mischievous sometimes. They were puppies so you would sort of expect that behaviour. Training them is helping of course but everyone has a little kid in them. I’m just really thankful that they weren’t any squirrels otherwise we all know what will happen then.

After about 30-35 minutes of walking I went back to the shelter and everyone looking worried as if something happened. Apparently one of the kittens went missing and they weren’t sure where it could be. All of us were at the point of panic and I was already feeling unwell so I tried my best to cover it up.

Susan was very attached to that cat so she was barely holding back my tears. It took us a few minutes till we heard a “meow”. But it was a very distressed one. I looked around and heard the sound again. I saw the poor kitten on the roof top. How in the world did she get up there?

Hello everyone,
Thank you so much for reading the chapter and the story so far.

Hope you all are enjoying it.

Please do let me know what you think.
If you like this story please remember to share it with your friends

Also a special thank you to my sister who proof reads this story. I can’t do it without her.

Thank you all once again.