Chapter 14

There wasn't one spot where I hadn't looked for her. I was calling her name and had looked everywhere. I couldn't make too much noise either because it was early in the morning and majority of the family were sleeping.

I went and looked in the kitchen one more time and then I heard a 'bang' sound from the pantry. I was thinking to myself, was it one of my cousins instead, trying to eat something?

I looked inside only to find Isla stuffing her face with snacks. With snacks......I should be thankful that she's okay or else I'd scream at myself for my stupidity. I gave out a huge sigh of relief. I'm not gonna lie, at one point I wanted to kill her alive for making me worry over nothing but then again, it was my fault for worrying so much. I can't blame myself too much.

A lot had been happening and I was only assuming the worst in each situation. Being positive is so much harder than it seems but I'm going to have to try.

Isla: "What are you doing? And why do you look like you're about to choke me any minute now? What did I do?"

Bella: "I- Well, never mind. I got worried that something happened to you. But anyways, if you're hungry I'll make you breakfast, why eat junk food first thing in the morning?"

Isla: "Thank you sis. I'll stop eating these snacks then."

Before I made her breakfast, I told mom she was in the pantry. She was also worried sick that where the heck Isla had gone. Considering Isla's love for snacks, the pantry was the last place I checked when it should have been the first.

I made her scrambled eggs with 2 slices of bread and poured a glass of milk for her. Being the elder sister, I have the responsibility over her and my family in general.

Mom was counselling and comforting Isla. Out of all us, she needed it as well. I'm sure it is scary being in her shoes. Mom got a call on her phone and excused herself. My gut was telling me a little that something good just might happen. A little ray of hope was shining in me.

After mother's call I could sense something was up but couldn't detect whether it was good or bad. Isla and I were just looking at each other.

Isla: "Did they inform anything about the case?"

Mom: "So, Mrs. Johnsons called and....they have said something about the investigation."

Bella: "I'm curious, what is it mom? Spill the tea."

Mom: "Ok, so what they have said so far, is that they found out the area she fell. Her stuffed toy was found in the bushes. You know, the one she never leaves alone and is always by her side."

Isla: "Oh yes. Mister Doe. You know how much she cherishes him. But why would he be in the bushes?"

Bella: "This is my theory. According to what mom said which is that, let's say her teddy bear was near the window or somewhat near it. She was trying to catch it and fell while trying to do so."

Isla: "Wow. Are you sure you're not the one solving this case without telling us? As usual, my detective sister is on the go."

Bella: "Thank you sister, I'm going to take that as a compliment. But that's what happened mom or.....is it something else?"
Mom: "No, in fact, you're absolutely correct. That's what they have told us so far. But that doesn't really prove anything. In the end, only the girl knows what happened to her."

Isla: "What about Maria, mom? Is she alright?"

Mom: "Well......the doctors can't say much right now. She is breathing but she isn't conscious yet."

Bella: "But I'm sure that something good will come out of this. We just need to be positive. We can hope that everything goes well for everyone."

Mom and I decided that we should go and get some groceries. Isla was at home with everyone else. I asked if she wanted to go. However, she said she wasn't feeling too well so we thought it would be better if she stayed home.

Going to the grocery shop, I remember the one time I went with my father and had a blast of fun. He gave me a list of items to get and he was telling me what all we needed. He made a video that I watch from time to time. It's surprising how I don't remember too well but the video itself was enough to give me feelings of comfort.

I am eternally grateful to have those memories with my father and those times with him. Because I know some parents out there, sometimes they just don't give attention to their kids. That reality is just so upsetting that there are people like that out there. Those who would abuse their children as well. I just couldn't imagine what would happen to them.

When we arrived, mom was calling me and I didn't respond. I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't realise. Later she called me a little louder and then I heard her and snapped out of my thoughts. She asked me if I was alright and I said that I was.

Mom was also getting stuff for the Johnsons and we were trying our best to help them in every way possible. My mother seemed stressed out. I could understand what the situation was, but I didn't want her to be in such a state.

There wasn't too much I could do, but I just wanted things to somehow fix themselves. But then again, that wasn't possible. We went towards the section where all the cereals were kept. Throughout that time, I just felt as if someone was staring at me or watching me. I was looking around trying not to be obvious about it. I opened my camera and pretended that I was taking a selfie.

I know this would be a bit risky but I had no choice but to go and check out this feeling. What if it was the same person I saw at the car accident site? Going to the next aisle, my heart was racing again. I knew that I just couldn't sit aside and watch.

Turns out, my intention was absolutely right. It was the man in the hoodie and gloves that we saw. I think he saw me and started to make a run for it.

I had no choice at that time and just ran after him as if a police were to catch a criminal.